What suspension to chose, aftermarket or OEM

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
DaMN

What suspension to chose, aftermarket or OEM

Post by DaMN »

Hello, I own 1994 MX-3 K8-ZE V6.
The front sespension are at the end of their life.
I can choose two kinds of suspension:
The original or Monro Sensotrac, the price isn't issue 'cause the cost almost the same.
I don't have anyother options, except Red koni that arn't very hard.
Most of the time, I drive hard and strong in a cruves that means that I need a good handling suspensions.
Right now I can't efford the replace all the suspansions, only the 2 on the front.
Is it that bad to drive (hard) with reasonable original rear suspension and Monro on the front?

Please help me, I don't know what to decied.

DaMN.
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

I have the red koni`s and they are a lot stiffer than the stock struts.
In fact, they are 5 steps adjustable, and also rebuildable.

There`s no way I`m ever going back to the stock struts.

Actually, I have a friend with a Ford Mondeo (not sure what it`s called in the US). And my Mx-3 with Koni & H&R springs, was noticeably stiffer than his Yellow Koni sports with springs.

-nope
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Are you talking about just replacing the struts? Because that won't get you much if you're still on stock springs. In fact, Monroe struts are probably better, because IIRC they're close to stock, so they'll work much better with the stock spring. If you're getting performance springs, then get the Konis.

Also read some threads about Ford ZX2 struts, which are cheap, almost direct fit, and a good performance improvement.

How you drive on the streets doesn't matter much, since I doubt you're even approaching your stock suspension's limits (unless you drive like a maniac, which you shouldn't). So for street driving, stock or close to stock should be ok. If you intend to do autoX or track, then yeah, you'll need performance suspension for that.
DaMN

Post by DaMN »

nope-mx3 and Whisper, thank you for your answers.
I'll put the original struts.

I don't need to replace the coils, so if I'll put the Monro I'll not enjoy them as I should enjoy performence suspensions.
The main use of the car is on the streets, not trucks.

Thank you all very much, this is a great site with a great forum.
It gave me some ideas what to do with my beautiful MX-3.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”