GS Parts List

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
luisitol

GS Parts List

Post by luisitol »

Hey guys, I've been a PGT guy for the last couple years but got my hands on a pretty beat up RS, that I am going to swap a DE into.

I know the V6 swap has been discussed alot on this site and there are some great write-ups available but those write-ups tend to be swaps from a GS to a DE. Obviously I know it is much difficult to do the swap starting with an RS, but thats what I found.

I have found two GS Mx3s in two different junkyards. Basically I would like to put together a full list of all the parts I will need to strip from them. I know I will need the transverse member in the front and the rear lower tie bar as well. But like I said I'd like a complete list and I figured you guys could help. Thanks
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

A complete list probably wont be possible.. it would be very difficult to account for EVERYTHING that you will be swapping between the GS to the RS. But here is a quick list to get you started.

Engine bay wiring harness(es)
ECU
All suspension components (to be safe) struts, springs, tie rods, hubs, etc.
Steering rack (GS steering rack is close ratio compared to RS so its worth the swap but you dont HAVE to have it if you dont want it)
Motor mounts & cross members (There is a cross member specific to the GS that may or may not actually bolt upto the bottom of a RS)
DE engine & appropriate tranny
Axles (be aware that you may end up having to have custom axles made)
Radiator & fans

Things that may need to be changed but I am not certain of..

Shifter linkage.. are they different between RS & GS cars?
Gauge Pod. This one could be tricky.. you didnt mention what year the RS is.. but if its a 92-93 RS 5spd car.. the speedometer is cable driven where as all other versions of the MX-3 were electronic speedos. You will also need to make sure you have the correct wiring harness for the gauge pod and make sure the tranny you get has the speedo sensor as well.

Well this ought to get you started.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
luisitol

Post by luisitol »

Tunes67 wrote:A complete list probably wont be possible.. it would be very difficult to account for EVERYTHING that you will be swapping between the GS to the RS. But here is a quick list to get you started.

Engine bay wiring harness(es)
ECU
All suspension components (to be safe) struts, springs, tie rods, hubs, etc.
Steering rack (GS steering rack is close ratio compared to RS so its worth the swap but you dont HAVE to have it if you dont want it)
Motor mounts & cross members (There is a cross member specific to the GS that may or may not actually bolt upto the bottom of a RS)
DE engine & appropriate tranny
Axles (be aware that you may end up having to have custom axles made)
Radiator & fans

Things that may need to be changed but I am not certain of..

Shifter linkage.. are they different between RS & GS cars?
Gauge Pod. This one could be tricky.. you didnt mention what year the RS is.. but if its a 92-93 RS 5spd car.. the speedometer is cable driven where as all other versions of the MX-3 were electronic speedos. You will also need to make sure you have the correct wiring harness for the gauge pod and make sure the tranny you get has the speedo sensor as well.

Well this ought to get you started.

Tunes67
Tunes... Will a PGT harness work or it specifically has to be a GS harness?

I had heard about the GS rack, and was going to do the rack replacement since I would be there anyway with an empty engine bay.

As for the Motor Mounts I was planning on using PGT upgraded mounts.

The axle issue is new to me. Wouldn't I be set with GS axles?

My RS is a 95, so its not the cable driven type, I read a few threads on that subject already.

I don't believe there to be any differences in the linkages between the RS and the GS, but someone please correct me if I am wrong.

So basically it seems that no one has done the RS to DE swap? or atleast whoever has, hasn't documented it?

Luis
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Its not really a RS to DE swap.. its a RS to GS swap really. The DE block is completely interchangeable with the stock K8. So really if you can make it so the K8 will fit into the RS.. the DE will too. There are a couple of people that have done it but no one that has really documented it. And I have never been under the hood of a PGT so I cant really tell you if the engine bay wiring harness is the same or not.. but logic says it would be I'd think..

As for the axles.. I know of a couple of people that had to have their drivers side axle modified to fit properly. This could have been from a variety of mix and matched parts though. Swapping hubs and axles from the GS really should eliminate this potential problem.. but I wanted to mention it so that IF you do run into it, it doesnt surprise you. From my understanding.. you wont be able to use the PGT suspension in the RS.. so you will need pretty much everything from the GS donor. Also.. couple more things.. the GS also has better rear suspension AND rear disc brakes that are a direct bolt into the RS. You can upgrade your master cylinder eventually.. lots of people like the 929 master cylinder since it has a full 1" bore & piston.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
luisitol

Post by luisitol »

ok, i get what you're saying with the axles. Better to be prepared for the possibility than to be caught off gaurd.

So as far as a list goes I have:

DE Motor & Drivetrain
ECU
GS Harness (possibly PGT)
GS Transverse Member
GS Motor Mounts (possibly PGT)
GS Front Spindles
GS Rear Spindles
GS Parking cable
Master Cylinder (GS, PGT, MX6 or 929)
GS Suspension
GS Rear Tie Bar