Electrical Problems

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
Duffman247

Electrical Problems

Post by Duffman247 »

I recently bought a 1995 MX-3.

it ran great and i didn't notice anything was wrong.

The only problem thing the guy said was that the sunroof didn't work, and that didn't bother me that much.

what he failed to mention was that there is a possible electrical problem.

When i am driving at night, and i turn on my headlights, the more electrical things i use, the dimmer my lights get.

i use the brake, turn on my headunit, use the rear defroster, you name it.

now i wasn't sure if these two things are related or not, but i wanted to know what the best advice for fixing this, or finding the problem would be.

Thanks, for helping out the new guy

::edit::

i have also noticed that the right side turning lights don't stay on.

they only go on when i use my tuning signal.

so yeah, i was a bit ambitious about the help i'd get.
m90daytona

Post by m90daytona »

soundslike you need an alternator or battery. i would say an alternator probably.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Agreed.. classic symptom of early alternator failure. Also.. may need to clean up your engine bay ground locations. They tend to corrode over time and not provide as good a connection as when the car was new. Also.. in humid climates.. these wiring harnesses are prone to corrosion.. so checking the wiring for any given thing that isnt funtioning as it should isnt a bad idea.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”