Windows Vista??

Off-Topic Discussions
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Windows Vista??

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Anyone here running vista? If so do you prefer it over xp?
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Vista = Memory Hungry Bloated POS. But its got a couple of cool features if your PC can handle it.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Yeah at the same time i will be putting another 256 memory card in so i hope it will even out.
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I have heard people running 1 gig of ram complaining about Vista.. seems most people running Vista decently are running true 64 bit CPU's (or even dual core) and have 2 gig of ram. When I heard those statistics.. eh.. I like XP just fine ;) Remember.. if it aint broke.. dont fix it ;) At least with computers LOL

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

well hearing that i think i will just hold off on vista.
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
Suresperance

Post by Suresperance »

ive got dual core and 2 gig of ram.... just waiting for an excuse to buy it :D
hharb

Post by hharb »

Alright.. that's what i think about vista, vista is a cool looking OS for non advanced users, it's got tones of features to make your life easier no matter how dumb you might be. It also has improved secrity features blablabla, any advanced user wouldnt really need any of these features. It also comes at a very high cost, Vista will use most of your computer resources to run, leaving a little bit of resources for your applications, again if you're an advanced user and normally do alot of multitasking on your computer you wouldnt want to waste 1GB of memory on vista when you could use it on something else. So yea if you have a cool machine with 2GB of memory that you dont use, go ahead and get vista, but if you really need your system resources to get by, I recommend sticking to XP or whatever else you have.. damn i talk too much lol
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

Vista is stupid. I hate how it asked you ever time if you want to run a program or if the program will be able to go out on the internet.
I got it at work on a dual core computer with 200 gig harddrive, and 1gig or ram and it runs like a$$.

Funny thing is - first time I booted it up - it crashed. Loaded the background and everything but then stalled out. Wouldn't do a thing. Happens every so often too. I'm guessing it's a memory thing. Cause it's the second laptop replacement and it still does it. And I haven't even installed anything new yet!!!!

anybody know where I can get a legal copy of XP with a REAL cd key?
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Im running it on a spare 1.8Ghz w/ 1g ram and a Gforce 6600GTX 256Mb. And seems to run pretty well. I think XP (especially if you remove all the crap from XP [THANK YOU NLITE!] screams compared to vista. The Aero interface is cool though.
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

if you want 3d desktop on xp get Yod'm 3D it's a pretty cool cube thingy
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

I tried out Vista on my computer at home.
Had it installed for maybe a month.
Reninstalled xp again, everything seems more snappish, and the 3d interface is just stupid, have no efficiency use at all.

Also, DRM is also pretty nasty with Vista. Oh, and I even had random reboots and hangs due to a antivirus software that was compatible.

So now, I run xp pro and linux, and theres just no functions in vista that I dont have (or need) in XP.

-n
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Ubuntu w/ beryl FTW.
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

I'm just bought a PC with vista, its very pretty.....
i have no problem of it running slow with a gig of ram.
IT looks very "mac"ish for an os,
I do hate that its for stupid people.
hooking up a network & installing network printers was easier.

the only complaint i have was i had to run a program in adminstror mode to get certain features to work
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

I hate Vista. I was setting up an encrypted wireless network for Dunkin' Donuts. Doing what I originally thought I was there to do wasn't that bad at all. I picked my favorite router... But, ahh the but, they wanted to use a printer on the network and the drivers installed were basic ones that didn't support network printing. So I download (Not too bad at nearly 30Mbps) the full drivers and installed them. Installing them SUCKED due to the computer having 256mb of ram. Anyway, so I finally finish everything and go home and then get a call that everything works great except for the Vista notebook which pops out some error message which I am guessing means Vista is a POS that isn't even backwards compatible with XP drivers. I still can't begin to explain how slow the non-Vista 256mb RAM computer was that had the printer :throwup: . I am used to my 64-bit dual-core computer with 2Gb of DDR2 800 RAM..... Anyway, I see no reason to get Vista.
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

Its said that if you do not have Vista Ready equipment Vista does not run properly on your computer IE graphics card motherboard etc..
Plus it sucks , absolutely a PITA to get used to , It's very annoying with the popups , my bro just got a AMD turion 64 Dual core laptop with 1 gig of ram , and it seems to run it fine , they were just too worried about making it look like Mac OS and not worried about making it not suck ..
For a reference turn all settings to classic and it makes it more like XP .
Kris
93 Kandy Tangerine Mx3 GS-DE
05 Saab 9-2x (Wrx power plant)
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
05 Subaru forester Xt - sti mods
04 dodge ram - toy hauler -FOR SALE
& Lots of Toys to haul :D

Return to “Off-Topic”