Differences in blocks

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Spotted

Differences in blocks

Post by Spotted »

Hi guys !!
I have a 93 RS and a 94 RS. The 93 has a SOHC and the 94 a DOHC. What differences are there between the blocks in the two motors.
I want to get my 94 running better and I am certain that both motors are very tired. I want to get it rebuilt, but was hoping I would be able to rebuild the 93's block and then have the DOHC head redone and put the two together. I wanted as little down time as possible as it is my daily driver. So that's why I was hoping I could rebuild ths 93's block.
Does anyone know if I can swap my 93's soo to be rebuilt block into my 94 with the rebuilt 94 head?
Soo for the long post, but I was hoping to get my point across. I hope I haven't confused anyone..

Thanks
:welder:
delpy32

Post by delpy32 »

there are some port holes you will have to get plugged on the dohc head i believe...search the forum...there are a few topic on here about the "theorys" of the sohc to dohc swap...
1992 mx-3, white, 1.6 sohc, 5 speed, custom: intake, interior and exhaust
facko

Post by facko »

if i remember correctly the blocks are identical but they use some different ports, so you'd have to have the ones the DOHC head uses cleaned out..not sure about plugging something on the head tho :?
Boris

Post by Boris »

sohc is a little better even. It has a windage tray.

Limegreen took pics of both blocks and compared their differences: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... dohc+block
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”