What kind of trans Fuild?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Dropped mx3

What kind of trans Fuild?

Post by Dropped mx3 »

i need to change the oil in my trans its a 5 speed , what would be the best oil to put in it? i have heard full synetic, gear oil n a few others, what do you guys think?
tysoe

Post by tysoe »

I like Redline MT90 which worked wonders in my MX5 and MX3. It's a full synthetic designed specialy for manual transitions and is really popular in mazdas
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Redline or Royal Purple.. Both are synthetic and both work great. Just get whichever one costs less at your particular parts store :)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Dropped mx3

Post by Dropped mx3 »

Ill probably go with royal purple what kind like 10w30 5w30? how much also would it take anyone know off hand?
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Dropped mx3 wrote:10w30 5w30?
hahahahahaha... I wish we had a RTFM emoticon.

This is discussed in multiple places in the shop manual and has been discussed hundreds of times, next time search.
lutos

Post by lutos »

I am using 75-90 synetic
Sal

Post by Sal »

why dont you use the lucas tranny fluid stabalizer? i heard it does the job.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

why dont you use the lucas tranny fluid stabalizer? i heard it does the job.
Because Lucas Tranny Fluid stabilizer is a product for Automatic transmissions and not for use in Manual transmissions such as the 5 speed being discussed here.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I have been using royal purple ever since I put my ze in and I have had no issues for over 3 years. 75w 90

The tranny also used to grind just a little in third so I had heard that lucas was good also (I realize it is for auto trannies) so I mixed in about half a quart and voila! It worked! :D smooth as a babies bottom!
Sal

Post by Sal »

i have known people using lucas for manual tranny. i havent used personally, but they told me it works well...
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Use what you guys want.. its your tranny and your car ;) Heck there are even manual transmissions (made by ford oddly enough) that WANT you to use ATF in them. Thats what the owners manual of the car dictates the transmissions use. What I am saying in this case is that its not a product recommended for MTX usage. If you have a dying tranny.. you have nothing to lose... if there is nothing wrong with your tranny.. why would you want to put something in it that might end up being detrimental to your transmission?

Tunes67

Sal

Post by Sal »

tru, u make a good point i can see where you're coming from.
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

theres a tranny fluid that GM puts out and is really good, takes away grinds in the tranny.
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

400+WHP for way over 10,000miles on a open diff 5-spd Pro LX tanny.

I use Lucas 80w-90 Gear Oil with one bottle of Lucas Transfix...thats what has held it together. The trans in the car now has a Mazdaspeed LSD with the same Lucas lubes. And yes I've pounded the CRAP out the gears...current setup it makine 500+HP @ 26psi on pump gas.

I've used Redline MT-90, Redline 75w-90, Redline Shock Proof w/ MT-90, Valvoline Durablend 75w-90, Costal 75w-90, Mobil 1 75w-90, ATF...blahh, blahh, blahh. I've broken trannies on all the above EXCEPT with the Lucas mix.

It's your tanny...use what you want :lol:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Had Royal Purple in mine last year.ow with the newer ZE I have Generic fluid in it. Soon enough like after all my mounts are done I will switch to Redline this time.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo

Return to “Transmissions”