Valve-Train Disassembly Tools

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Valve-Train Disassembly Tools

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

I was taking an old K8 apart just for kicks and completely disassembled everything except for the valve-train. I need to be able to disassemble/assemble the valve-train on my next engine (KL-ZE) so that I can upgrade it. The problem I ran into is that the valve spring compressor available at the local auto parts store does not fit down into the HLA cylinder. It was designed for heads that have the valve springs sticking out. I need to know where to get all the tools that I will need for the valve-train.

Thanks
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Well....you could do two things. Pay a couple hundred dollars for the specialty tool you have to get from mazda or do what I did.

I went to the hardware store (Walmart has these also) and purchased a shower knob bolt remover (looks like a big hollow hex tube with two different size ends). Use a dremel w/ a cut off wheel (I reccomend the reinforced heavy duty cutting wheels) and cut a window....NOT a slot...into one of the Hex sides that fitts into the HLA opening. Now use this with your valve spring compressor (one of the "C" shaped locking spring compressors). Use a small magnetic pickup tool to remove the valve stem/spring retainer locks. The Hex tool is under $10 and the perfect size....I choose the Hex tool because the spring compressor finger width is adjustable and prevents the tool from kicking out when compressed.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

I ended up just buying the proper tool. I have it sitting here if you were interested in borrowing it, i don't mind shipping it to you as long as i get it back. But of course i would need some type of deposit.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

How much did they set you back?
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

I believe ~100 bucks...i don't really recall.
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

the cheapest way is to go to sears and buy the overhead cam valve spring compressor they sell. It costs about 20 bucks and looks like a giant c-clamp. Than take a peice of 1" pvc and cut yourself an extension since the spring is down inside the head. Also notch out part of the side of the pcv extension to get a magnet inside to grab the keepers when they pop off the valve.
http://www.miata.net/hakuna/port2.html
That is a good write up on how to overhaul a head from a miata guy. The head he rebuilds is very similar to kl. It also shows a picture extension i am talking about. If you are still confused, hop over to probetalk.com and search around and you will find more answers to what you are looking for.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Well there is a difference here. ARE WE REMOVING THE HEADS OR NOT??

My tool i bought is to remove the valvesprings and stuff without removing the heads. If there is no need to remove the heads, the y do it??
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

I am considering doing Ferrea valves and valve springs along with titanium retainers... As you may guess, I wouldn't do that if I was leaving the rest of the engine stock. So yes, the heads will be off. (Also, since I'm replacing the valves, I have to remove the heads whether I'm building the short block or not.)

Return to “Forced Induction”