Altanator

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
CarMan1

Altanator

Post by CarMan1 »

hey what is the best alt i can put on my 4cyl sohc engine, i need something with alot more power, b/c im running a very high powered stereo system..

also how much work would it take? ive heard i can upgrade with very little mod needed
Limegreen mx-3

Re: Altanator

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

CarMan1 wrote: ive heard i can upgrade with very little mod needed
well if u heard than that must mean someone has done the higher amp alt. swap. it all here in MX-3.com u just have to do a search and the info u need will be there for u read up on. sorry for writing like this just many guys have done what u want to do even me and its not so hard to do a quick search.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

ok i searched, i have a 1.6 sohc, im still not sure what alt i can upgrade too. i see that i have to swap the pullies,but what alt will fit? the one from a v6 mx-3 or the one from a 94 dohc? which alt is the 90 amp? their not clear on that on anything i can find.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

You know what? I have done a fair amount of research on the Alternator swaps and totally forgot about the SOHC RS. All the stuff I was looking at was for the 94+ or for the GS. So I know a couple of websites that might shed some light.. I will do some more checking.. and I am not certain you will have to swap pullies either.

94 + RS Alternator = 70 Amps
92 + GS alternator = 90 Amps
95-96 (and later in most cases) 2.5L Mazda Millenia Alternator = 110 amps

Give me a bit and I will see what I can dig up about the SOHC RS alternator. You may have a bit of trial and error fitting it though.. Unless someone else on here has already done a alternator swap on the SOHC RS to a higher amperage alternator. On the 94+ RS all 3 of the above alternators fit with little or no modding required.. not even a pully swap. Same applies to the 92+ GS though you have to mod the stock alternator bracket slightly or get the bracket from a 2.5L Millenia. When running the Millenia Alternator that is. Hope this helps

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Ok.. after googling around a bit.. It looks like the SOHC alternator is also a 70 amp alternator and has the same mount points as the 94 +.. They look pretty much identical from the pics I found and was looking at (I have a 94 + alternator to compare with). So it looks like you can do the same swap as everyone else. If you want you could jump straight to a Millenia alternator.. though you would have to change the wiring and might have to solve a mount bracket issue. Or you could swap in a GS alternator which would be 90 amps and should be plug n play.. you might need a longer alternator bolt though.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

ok thanks, i need to do something b/c i have a really big stereo system and bad things happen when its up loud....
Romeo

Post by Romeo »

hey i was wondering if you guys would know the amp on a BP alt??

Ive went threw 2 RS alt's and 2 BP alt's on another one of my mx-3's that has almost the same system im running in my new project mx-3 :oops:
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

The BP i got from a 95 protege has a 80 amp alternator.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

I just did the swap form the 1.6l sohc alt to the vv6 90 amp alt about a month ago. It is pretty straight forward just change the pulleys and then wedge it in, it is a tight fit to get it into position then the mounting bolt goes backwards, and the top adjustment bolt needs a custom mout to be able to lock in there are no threads in the top hole of the 90 amp alt so you have to put a nut of some sort on the back of the bolt to hold the belt tight. The only other thing that needs to be done is the positive lead on the old alt is slightly smaller than the positive lead on the 90amp so you have to use a file to enlarge the ring that sits on the lead by a little bit. All in all it took me about an hour and a half to do that and an oil change. Good luck
Kakarot 135

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”