Custom brakes finally built - Uk based

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
garfy1981
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Custom brakes finally built - Uk based

Post by garfy1981 »

Finally got round to doing conversion after nearly a year of running the 2.5 V6 Ze engine, on crap brakes !!.

Anyhow there of course are alot of quality discs and pads, stainless lines out there that will do just as good a job, but me being me I wanted something one off and rare to fill my 17inch rim.

So using british engineering at its best I had a custom built big brake conversion made. Comprising of willwood 4 pot calipers, stainless lines all round, big discs on custom machined ally bells and caliper brackets, quality brake fluid refill.
And the positive thing is that the kit actually weighs less than the oem brakes.

This kit actually cost me the same to have built and fitted as it would have cost to ship over a set of precision brakes without fitment.

So its onto the next project for me, and with loads of ideas its hard to decide what to do next :roll:

enjoy!.

2.5 Ze straight neck, blitz intake, mazdaspeed engine mounts, fidenza flywheel, CM II Clutch, KL-36 ecu, Magnecor 8mm Leads, Battery Relocation. Hotshot headers, 2.5 mandrel bent stainless exhaust, hi-flow cat, Speed hut dials, custom coilover set up. Custom willwood big brake conversion.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

You, my dear Limey, are a Fu#$er. ;)
Great job and they look drop dead sexy.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
93_MX3 GS

Post by 93_MX3 GS »

those are very nice! :shock: How do they stop now? Wat size are the rotors? Did u get the rears done too?
garfy1981

Post by garfy1981 »

No rears are just factory.
Well i still use the car for road use so i still wanted pedal feel and didnt want the brakes to be tapped and lock up the front wheels being so big!.

So at low speeds regular driving they feel like factory, but you defiantely can feel the diffrence at fast speeds. Before i managed to easily overheat and run out of brakes really quickly......quite dangerous in fact :shock:

Now i dont think i will.....well the hole set up will be tested next year on the track as the weather is a bit crap in the uk at the moment ( nothing new here ! :( )
2.5 Ze straight neck, blitz intake, mazdaspeed engine mounts, fidenza flywheel, CM II Clutch, KL-36 ecu, Magnecor 8mm Leads, Battery Relocation. Hotshot headers, 2.5 mandrel bent stainless exhaust, hi-flow cat, Speed hut dials, custom coilover set up. Custom willwood big brake conversion.
Blazianenigma

Post by Blazianenigma »

Very nice. :D
Now its making me wonder about my crappy brakes.
1993 MX-3 (Converting in Oct)
2004 MS6 (Repairing)
1982 Limited Edition Me (.04Hp)
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

looks good, how much it cost you?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Now.. if you would have that kit made available for ME to purchase.. I would start saving now!

Thats hot!

8)
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

He said he could have imported a set of BB from the US for what he paid all said and done. That is about 1500 US from what I gather.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
93_4Banger

Post by 93_4Banger »

wow do i want those brakes on all 4 but for 3000USD i think i can keep on dreaming. But damn that is nice.
garfy1981

Post by garfy1981 »

yes thats right Pat.
Was going to get the kit from horsepwerfreaks.com but once i paid for shipping and taxes it worked out quite expensive, plus precision had just put their prices up on all their kits too :(
I might work on the rears in the future, but for now im replacing suspension and thinking about GSXR1000 throttle body conversion :D with megasquirt.
peanutsparts

Post by peanutsparts »

thats the same kit for the ZX2.
If i slotted and drilled my CD's would they play cooler songs?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: Custom brakes finally built - Uk based

Post by jschrauwen »

garfy1981 wrote: Comprising of willwood 4 pot calipers, stainless lines all round, big discs on custom machined ally bells and caliper brackets, quality brake fluid refill.
And the positive thing is that the kit actually weighs less than the oem brakes.
Of course they should weigh less. Calipers made of billet aluminum will definitely save a great deal unsprung weight over those heavy cast beasts we have.
I think the key is in the caliper bracket also. After owning motorcycles for numerous years and especially watching how so many Ducati's converted older bkes to newer braking systems, it didn't appear all that complex. After first sourcing an appropriate rotor (slightly larger than oem but small enough to include fitment of caliper within the confines of selected rim), a bracket must be custom made to provide the correct/new mounting position of the new caliper. Basically a semi staggered bracket that mates to the oem mounts and is drilled to accomodate the mounting holes of the new caliper. Most motorcyclists would use another large piece of billet aluminum for that bracket (again to reduce unsprung weight). Easy access to a proper machine shop would be the key to a successfull project like this. Materials wise, sourcing multi piston calipers is not a huge problem, but rather the complimenting combination of rotors, calipers with a custom caliper mounting bracket is what's needed. I think if i were garfy, I'd selected a rotor that was anondized/plated so as to keep rust to a minimum if any at all. Having crossed drilled rotors would also help in brake cooling and slightly on the unsprung weight also. There must be some larger rotors out there with the right offset and bolt pattern used on other vehicles. A day at the race track and looking at some bikes brake conversions will easily show that it's not all that involved.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”