213,000 miles and counting...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
92MX3black

213,000 miles and counting...

Post by 92MX3black »

Just wondering what i can expect out of this car...... Its a GS 1.8 L 5-speed and i have over 213k miles on it. What do others have and if properly maintained what can one expect to get from dependability on these cars?
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

my k8 ran strong all they way trough 230 thousnand miles.. w000. I did take it out to get a kf then ze.. my car now has around 2500 thousand miles.

I have replaced almost the whole front clip (thanks to a fire and exception of fenders)

Both shafts new, engine(less transmission) Engine harness, every single sensor in the front bay.

As far as suspension you would expect for bearings to go out. both sides went on me. Also the hub.. the spindle seems to wear off making shaft and bearing spin at the same time instead of bearing cushoning the movement, this heating up shaft and either breaking it ( driver side) or forging the hub and shaft together(driver side) ouch.

Engine mounts .. my mounts are gone.
cant forget about disty.. they hei goes out easy. Hei mod fixed her.

You know I complain about the problems ive had but thinking about it.. it is a REALLY run down car, 250 thosand miles, has been destroyed by fire, flood and possibly has been crashed before. Kinda of a long history.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
92MX3black

Post by 92MX3black »

your car looks sweet. im personally a domestic mustang fan, but im having issues right now with my distributor....i have no engine codes and recently the car shut off while drivin . the rmps went straight to 0 and now i replaced the ignition coil inside of the ditsy and now the car starts up, idles real bad and than dies. Checked timing and i have new o2 sensors. Im confused on what to do short of changing the whole ditsy..i hope to get more miles out of this car.
92MX3black

Post by 92MX3black »

added* the issues that i am having pertain to the mazda
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Defenetly is the ignitor. It costs around 15 dllrs for the GM module and 5 for wiring and tools. Check the faq it tells you in detail. It looks hard but its WAY WAY easy. Also I have heard it is also an upgrade to your ignition. As much power as msd 6AL modudle. I noticed my car cranks right away with this mod. Before.. it would take some cranking when my ignitor was going. A new disty costs around 200 - 300 dllrs which IMO not worth it.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
illapino

Post by illapino »

92MX3black wrote:im having issues right now with my distributor....i have no engine codes and recently the car shut off while drivin . the rmps went straight to 0
you need a new distributor
mine did the same thing. dying every 14 kilometers ...
just replace it
sexy_mx3

Post by sexy_mx3 »

i just rolled over 220,000 kms!!! lol
not bad for 92 daily! yea yea
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

lol my mx-3 had 169k miles on it when i blew my motor. If properly drove and maintained the motor could go to about 300K plus, but thats changing oil every 2500 miles, timing belt every 60k.
The rest of the car would fall apart before the motor would

Oh yea do the hei mod, dont pay 300$ for a disty.
Last edited by MazdaNoob123 on September 29th, 2006, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I still cant find anywhere in the shop manual where it says there should be a 1in hole in the side of the block. (Blown K8) #6 rod thrown through block.
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

i replaced my engine at about 350 000km (219 000 miles) due to major oil consumption
rigth now she's at 416 000km (260 000 km) and running strong
the problems you experience however will depend on the wear and tear, and climate.
i drive about 60 000km/year (38 000 miles/year) and usually drive them hard, so i have gone through alot of repairs
i have had to get towed quite a few times, but that's what CAA Plus is for (AAA in your case)....it all depends on proper maintance and preventative repairs
also on this site you'll find info like the HEI mod (which i still need to do) that'll help keep u'r baby on the road w/o forking over all u'r cash

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”