Phenolic spacers or gasket from MX-6 KLZE to MS-8 IM?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
verzutiko
Supporting Member

Phenolic spacers or gasket from MX-6 KLZE to MS-8 IM?

Post by verzutiko »

Hi.

I have searched but not found an answer to my problem.

I am about to buy a MX-6 KLZE with the KL31 cams. I am going to replace the IM to the MS-8 style manifold for brake booster and battery clearance. As I have come to understand, no gasket or phenolic spacer have been made to make these two units fit. My question to you guys who have done this modification: what have you done to solve this issue?

I have read something about a product that will seal the gaps and in all other respects work as a gasket. Could someone post a link to a site describing this and perhaps some reviews upon this product?

Thanks in advance,
Lars
'92 GS
My worklog
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

Search "phenos", the company is Outlaw, they make them.

Just re-read your post, you can use the MS8 intake on any kl head as long as the ports are the same shape, if you are square to square you can use the 99+ Millenia stock gaskets IIRC.

Phenos are to keep intake temps down or to make a smooth transition from oval port (DE) heads to square intake ports (ZE).
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Your going to have clearance issues. My Millenia manifold already rubs the hood, and I dont have any spacers.
lakersfan1

Re: Phenolic spacers or gasket from MX-6 KLZE to MS-8 IM?

Post by lakersfan1 »

verzutiko wrote:As I have come to understand, no gasket or phenolic spacer have been made to make these two units fit.
Huh? You can't find a gasket to seal a square port ZE block to a square port IM?? Am I reading that right?
verzutiko
Supporting Member

Post by verzutiko »

Spinkx79 wrote:Phenos are to keep intake temps down or to make a smooth transition from oval port (DE) heads to square intake ports (ZE).
Ok, then I have just misunderstood. I have always been under the impression that the MS-8 IM differs from the straight neck IM, gasket-wise. But then you are saying that if I remove the straight neck IM and replace it with an MS-8 IM, then there will be no issues regarding fitment with gaskets from the IM and the rest of the engine?

Why then does Outlaw Engineering have 2 different sets of Phenolic Spacers? Is the fitment on the engine side the same on the two different IMs?

I'm going for the engine on the left for its more aggresive cams (KL31), but I'm going to use the IM displayed on the right. (This is just for showing what I mean, I know of the limited space between the hood and IM, so I will go for normal gaskets)

I feel like such a noob right now. Have I misunderstood this from the beginning?? And excuse if my english can be a little confusing...
'92 GS
My worklog
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Custommx3 wrote:Your going to have clearance issues. My Millenia manifold already rubs the hood, and I dont have any spacers.
thats wierd. Yours hits the hood and you don't have spacers. I have a strut bar in my car and theres barely cleanance and teh strut bar just barely clears the hood.

John
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

verzutiko wrote:
Spinkx79 wrote:Phenos are to keep intake temps down or to make a smooth transition from oval port (DE) heads to square intake ports (ZE).
Ok, then I have just misunderstood. I have always been under the impression that the MS-8 IM differs from the straight neck IM, gasket-wise. But then you are saying that if I remove the straight neck IM and replace it with an MS-8 IM, then there will be no issues regarding fitment with gaskets from the IM and the rest of the engine?

Why then does Outlaw Engineering have 2 different sets of Phenolic Spacers? Is the fitment on the engine side the same on the two different IMs?

I'm going for the engine on the left for its more aggresive cams (KL31), but I'm going to use the IM displayed on the right. (This is just for showing what I mean, I know of the limited space between the hood and IM, so I will go for normal gaskets)

I feel like such a noob right now. Have I misunderstood this from the beginning?? And excuse if my english can be a little confusing...
umm where did you get that pic. The Curve neck is not from an MS-8!

Straight neck (KL31)
MX-6 / Efini MS8 / Mazda clef / Cronos

Curve Neck (KL47)
Eunos 800 / Capella wagon
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

verzutiko wrote:

They have phenos for both the North American version of the 2.5 which had oval intake and oval head ports (DE), as well as the Japanese/European style which is square and square (ZE).

Your straight neck and curved neck are both Japanese and have square ports, and will both use the same gaskets.

They even sell a set of phenos that mates oval to square.

If you do order phenos, get the ones for the MS8 as the Throttlebody (KL68) is shaped different and uses a different gasket.

Go check the Outlaw site and you will understand.
verzutiko
Supporting Member

Post by verzutiko »

Spinkx79 wrote:They have phenos for both the North American version of the 2.5 which had oval intake and oval head ports (DE), as well as the Japanese/European style which is square and square (ZE).

Your straight neck and curved neck are both Japanese and have square ports, and will both use the same gaskets.

They even sell a set of phenos that mates oval to square.

If you do order phenos, get the ones for the MS8 as the Throttlebody (KL68) is shaped different and uses a different gasket.

Go check the Outlaw site and you will understand.
Have checked it out many times, first time 2 years ago. Just didn't know why they had two different sets of phenos for the two different intake styles. Thought that this maybe had something with the runners, but then it's just different shaped TB shapes! Thanks for clearing out this issue for me, GOD I LOVE THIS SITE!! :mrgreen:

To mx3autozam: The picture is from Outlaws website. So you're saying that the curved neck IM do not come from an MS-8? I'm getting the impression that Spinkx79 does say that the curved neck IM comes from the MS-8? Hmm, once again I'm confused... :roll:
'92 GS
My worklog
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I just tried straight neck in my current set up and nah uh... it has a HUGE vacuum leak I dont know where..bleh.. im using millenia im anyway.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”