Genesis74 - 1992 MX-3 RS

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Genesis74

Genesis74 - 1992 MX-3 RS

Post by Genesis74 »

Originally my wife's car, it was purchase in 1996 with approximately 48,000 miles. Now it has 138,xxx

Other than ordinary maintenance and one trip to the garage to replace $800 worth of parts, here is the beginning of my work log. As I can no longer afford to pay a mechanic for something I can do myself.

Project 1: Installed small cone filter to replace the original hard plastic hose that went from the valve cover to cold air intake. A couple dollars spent at Autozone improved the idle dramatically.

Project 2: Installed clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, both front axles.
This was not nearly as difficult as I imagined, especially when you removed all the bolts holding on the tranny. Feel free to ask me about it.
The only downside, it left the car unable to produce spark.
Therefore, that takes me to project # 3.

Project 3: Find out why the car will not produce spark.
Plan A: double check all connections **Everything ok**
Plan B: check ground **Grounded the system, no spark**
Plan C: bypass the ingnition control module using the HEI module variation found on the web. **Still no spark**
Plan D: replace ECU. **Still no spark**
Plan E: check all electricall starting components with a meter. I would have done this sooner but I was waiting on a meter and someone who knew how to use it. ** Success TBA**

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”