MX3 RPMS went from 2700 to 0 while driving...confused!!!!!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
92MX3black

MX3 RPMS went from 2700 to 0 while driving...confused!!!!!!!

Post by 92MX3black »

After doing some searching on these forums i decided to write my own post. I could not find any help on the newest problem i am facing. So this is the story, i just took the MX3 to the shop 2 weeks ago and put 2 new o2 sensors on, a new crankshaft position sensor, and cleared the codes that were stored. The car stopped stalling out and acting like it was missing. So yesterday im driving and the car dies while waiting at a light, i try to start it wont start, i let 30 seconds go by and it try it again, and it starts. This same exact thing happens twice. So im driving after this and im in 5th gear doing 55mph and the rpms go from 2700 RPM to 0. Now the car did not shut off and did not throw any codes. I downshifted to get the rpms to go higher and they stay at 0 and the exhaust backfires, i try it in 3rd gear as im slowing and another backfire and nothing happens RPM wise. I pull to the side of the road and let the car sit for a little while and try to start it a few times and nothing happens. Later that day after getting it towed i start it, it starts, i test drive it and everything is normal with no CEL codes. I dont get whats wrong! Is it the distributor or the ignition module? The car is a 1992 mazda mx3 GS with a 5speed. It has 213,000 miles with oil changes every 3000 miles. Im curious if any other members have ran into this problem.
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Have you done the HEI mod?

Sounds like the Distyproblem...
Bad ignitor modulel.

-nope
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Agreed, sounds like time for the hei/blaster mod
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

yeah i dont think any of the sensors that were replaced would cause that problem *agree possible disty problem*
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Read my post in here. It has pics of my setup. Probobly a good upgrade to do. Also make sure all grounds are good. Maybe at ad a few more and clean up all the current ones.
Believe it or not the difference grounds make

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=53858
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

Sounds like a disty problem. I had the same symptoms on my 92 GS. Autozone sells disty's w/ lifetime warranty if you don't want to do the ignition mod.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

FlyVFR wrote:Sounds like a disty problem. I had the same symptoms on my 92 GS. Autozone sells disty's w/ lifetime warranty if you don't want to do the ignition mod.
yes you can get one from Autozone or any other parts stores with good warranty or for a 1/4 of the price you can do what I posted. It will be alot more reliable. Sure with a lifetime warranty you can just take it out and return it but why screw around with doing that. Also the external coil and module is a betetr setup. You will notice the entire RPM range will be smoother.

John
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

mx3autozam wrote:yes you can get one from Autozone or any other parts stores with good warranty or for a 1/4 of the price you can do what I posted. It will be alot more reliable. Sure with a lifetime warranty you can just take it out and return it but why screw around with doing that. Also the external coil and module is a betetr setup. You will notice the entire RPM range will be smoother.

John
Good points John. Also some replacemt disty's can go bad AGAIN anytime anywhere. Like in the middle of a 5 lane highway while going 130 MPH. :shock: LOL The point is that there is a good chance it may happen again when you least expect it, and if Murphy is on your side it will probably be 100 miles away from home. :evil:
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

FlyVFR wrote:
mx3autozam wrote:yes you can get one from Autozone or any other parts stores with good warranty or for a 1/4 of the price you can do what I posted. It will be alot more reliable. Sure with a lifetime warranty you can just take it out and return it but why screw around with doing that. Also the external coil and module is a betetr setup. You will notice the entire RPM range will be smoother.

John
Good points John. Also some replacemt disty's can go bad AGAIN anytime anywhere. Like in the middle of a 5 lane highway while going 130 MPH. :shock: LOL The point is that there is a good chance it may happen again when you least expect it, and if Murphy is on your side it will probably be 100 miles away from home. :evil:
Exactly right. Its like if you ever run out of gas there is never a station around.lol

Some people think since they have a rebuilt disty its not going to happen again. the Mazda distributors on all Ks eries are just poorly designed. In a 20year span it will happen 5 times. lol I am the 2nd owner of my car. The guy who sued to have my car went to Maxda for everything. I ahve all reciepts and my car had has 3 distributors before I owned it. Then mine went bad and I did the HEI and coil. Won't happen again.

John
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

btw heres a little tip. If you ever have issues with cars cutting in and out or bogging at certain RPM's take a look at the tach if the needle goes all funky it is ignition related since the tach runs off the ignition system
:wink:
John
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
92MX3black

Post by 92MX3black »

Say if i just wanted to keep the car running and on the road. I will upgrade with this mod you guys call HEI if it is less money than say buying a new disty. Now let me ask this question, when you guys say distyy i assume you are talking about the distributor. Please correct me if i am wrong. I have done some pricing today on ignition coil and distributors, I am again stuck and amazed on why parts are soooo expensive for this car!! But anyways i have to get back on the road, and if anyone has actually put a new disty with one of these cars, how was it? could a somewhat mechanically inclined person do it???
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

yes disty or dizzy means Distributor. Don't go into a parts store and ask for that they may get lost.

John
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

nobody else think it could be the knock sensor? Thats my guess + what everybody else said.
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
kp2t

Post by kp2t »

well personally, I think its those 2 ground wires at the back of his manifold, I had the same issue, like John was saying...

Changed to a ZE disty, External coil, Hei Mod, and the problem was there... Apparently the two ground wires where off, they are a tiny set of 2 wires which are included in the wire harness running along the firewall, closer to the passenger side of the car!

try it and let us know!
ImageImageImageImageImage
92MX3black

Post by 92MX3black »

does any one think this could be the fuel system??? fuel pump or so on?>??

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”