0-60 and shift times

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

0-60 and shift times

Post by Bumpysbro »

hey guys i was wondering if you all could tell me your shift times like what mph your at like from 1st to 2nd and 3 to 4rth stuff like that so i could compare mine to them. im runnin my rebuilt dohc 4cylinder, my times from 0-60 shifting at 3k was 32 seconds and at 4k was 25seconds which is really bad in my mind but i just wanted to make sure to see if im even close to what i should be thnx
Jon
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

After all the posts you started I think we all know your mx-3 is almost COMPLETELY rebuilt lmao. To bad you can't swap seeing you live in the crazy state of CA.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Yeah I would love to see pics of your cams & timing marks.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

i have a sohc 4 cyls. i shift from 1st to second at like 15 or like 20 when im racing(legal only) and 2nd to 3rd at like 35, and to 4th at about 45 and to 5th im not too sure cuz 4th can last forever it seems. it does however sound like the motor is working very hard. but once i have it built im sure it will be up there easily.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

oh yeah and by the way the 88hp rating on the sohc is at 5500 rpms. hope that says something.
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

mazdamx3sohc,

He does have dual over head cam and his power comes a little later than 5500 and also i think his horsepower to the wheels is in the upper 90s. Especially with that rebuild.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
xtreme velocity

Post by xtreme velocity »

what is the stock HP on a 94 mx3 dohc 5 speed??
Current:
93 F-250 Diesel Coal Roller (For Sale)
06 RX-8 1.3 Rotary AT 6 speed (All looks)
79 Ford Courier 2.3 4cyl 5 speed (lil Pete)

Past:
05 Mazda RX-8 1.3 Rotary MT 6 speed
90 Mazda Miata 1.6L 5 speed 45k miles
94 MX-3 RS DOHC 5 speed 90k miles
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

he dosent care about what speed the shift is at, he cares about how fast you reach the shift point.

where a gear redlines at is all about the tranny

how fast it gets there is the motor. that why he wants times
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

first gear is basically over very quickly and when u get into second its dead the pull is gone, cuz in 1st im at about 5mph at 3k i cant make 20 redlining it, and from 2nd to 5th gear is pretty much dead. the engine tops out at around 65 or 70 lol. oh ill take pics of the cams when i get off work. im still leaning towards the fuel pump. the engine backfires kinda if u try and gun it and just coasts down the road. and it tops out at 65, like its starving for gas.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

the engine backfires kinda if u try and gun it
Another classic symptom that your timing is off. Or that you have your firing order mixed up. ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

haha ya true but when my timing was off it was even worse. like this it would backfire lets say if ur at 3k and gun it in 2nd gear itll push u back for a second. and it wont go any faster after that like its dead. oh and just to make sure this is the firing order

1 2 3 4# clyinder right? if u look at the valve cover from the top

3 1
--------
--------
4 2

and thats on the disty if u look at it from the intake side right?

now with timing, can it get worse as time goes on? like lets say last week can be worse then this week.this problem seems to get worse as the days go by, the belt hasnt slipped any teeth.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

3 1
--------
--------
4 2

If thats your firing order.. assuming thats representing the 4 corners of your distributor cap.. then it looks like your distributor or firing order are 90 degrees off.. at least according to the diagram below found on page G-29 of the online manual.

You should be seeing

1 2
--------
--------
3 4

Cheers

Tunes67

Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

hmm. weird cuz when i put them like you said it wouldnt idle it would just shake and run like crap. this is strange huh? lol ima do some tests and take some pics when i get home so you can see what im doing k. thnx tunes always got the answers. haha hows your car running?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Mr RS is running like a top. Smooth as silk and after adding a bit of Amsoil ATF fluid.. even the ATX trans operates like new. My GS... well.. thats gonna take a while LOL

Tunes67

Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

haha lucky, are u doing a full race engine for ur gs? hey if the disty is 90 degrees off and it runs, then the valve timing is off by the same right? thats why it runs like crap when u put the plug wires on diff.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”