car wont start

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
zuza

car wont start

Post by zuza »

i have 1993 mx3, 4 cyl and i have wierd problem
this morning i get into car and try to start it and when i turned my key car wont start ... wont even turn ... nothinh is happening .. just lights like engen check, brake, belts like usual are lighten up
some people were passing by and i asked them to give me a push ... and it started no problem (manual). ... when i trurned off and started again ....wont start .. same thing
could it be starter ? or something else ?
and where is starter located exactly (i know, its dumb question)
thanks
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

do you hear the starter relay clicking? if not, check for a connection between the relay and the key, if thats ok then its probably the relay (solonoid) wich means its probably time to replace your starter.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
zuza

Post by zuza »

i don't hear any clicking, i checked relay box under the hood and all of them seem ok
how do i check connection between the relay and the key ??
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Its probably the starter solenoid. If you are not hearing any clicking from the starter when you turn your key to the start position. Likely the solenoid has shorted out. Some times you can just replace the solenoid itself other times you have to replace the starter and the solenoid at the same time (depends on the car) if you take your starter out and take to your local parts store, most parts stores can check them for you now and tell you if its the starter or the solenoid that is bad. Hope this helps.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
xtreme velocity

Post by xtreme velocity »

i dont know much bout this..but check the fuse box..might have bad fuse..
Current:
93 F-250 Diesel Coal Roller (For Sale)
06 RX-8 1.3 Rotary AT 6 speed (All looks)
79 Ford Courier 2.3 4cyl 5 speed (lil Pete)

Past:
05 Mazda RX-8 1.3 Rotary MT 6 speed
90 Mazda Miata 1.6L 5 speed 45k miles
94 MX-3 RS DOHC 5 speed 90k miles
zuza

Post by zuza »

i just put my car on jacks and went under it and i could not see starter ... where it is located ??
solenoid is the little thing on the starter ???
Tunes ur saying that best thing is to replace the starter, right ?
i just called junk yard .... $ 50 for starter ...
i need more help, and need my car running ...

thanks for posts
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

its gonna be really hard to see from under the car. find your intake manifold, look directly under that, its black and long hahah. connects right into your tranny.
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

i would say get your starter from a parts store. they aren't much more than $50 (rebuilt) and they have a lifetime warranty.

you must not of looked very hard for your starter...it's on the back side of the block.

if you replace your starter and it still doesn't work, it could also be your ignition switch.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I am saying take your starter off and have it and the solenoid on it tested... if bad, then yes.. it would be best to replace them. My personal experience with starters has lead me to just get them from Napa.. the Napa's around here just give the right part 99% of the time where as Shucks, Autozone, Pepboys, GI Joes, just simply suck a-- when it comes to getting the right part. A lifetime warranty is nice.. but if its the wrong part or if it falls apart all the time.. is it really worth the $15 bucks you saved if you have to do the job over and over and over again? My time is worth more than that ;) I hope everyone elses is too. ;) Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

i'm just saying that i would go with a rebuilt one rather than a junk yard part...especially when they are similarly priced. i would rather keep putting in free ones covered under warranty than paying $50 everytime it goes bad.
zuza

Post by zuza »

hey
i just took off my starter, and as shown in owner manual how to test it .... i did everything and nothing happend .. used my booster cable
starter is just dead .... sparks are flying from the conections but starter wont move
so, i guess i need new starter

it was pain in the a** to take it off ... so much screws to take out because the stupid starter .. but thanks guys, thanks for visual explonation (pic)
ill keep u posted
thanks again
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

yea the hardest part about changine the starter for me is the bigger power wire...i don't know why but that nut never wants to thread on there right.
zuza

Post by zuza »

Ok ... i finally got new starter, put it in .... turn my key ... and CAN'T start
same thing again ....
i drove it to mechanic today and he told me that could be relay .. so my quesion is .. Where is the Starter Relay ???
in owners manual (online) relay page does not work .... please
thanks
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Have you checked all the fuses yet?
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
zuza

Post by zuza »

yes, i checked under the hood some fuses and checked fusebox under the wheil .... is there more fuses ???? where are all the relays ? starter relay ????

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”