First Long trip with car/dissappointed

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

First Long trip with car/dissappointed

Post by Bumpysbro »

i was driving today about a 100mile trip to fresno and back and i noticed that my car even after all the headwork, new gaskets, rings. still doesnt have the power that it did when i bought it. it took me around 25 seconds to go from 70 to 80. is this normal? i clocked it at 35 seconds from 65 to 80. i press the gas pedal and nothing happens, got a ground kit, rebuild, CAI.
Jon
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

yea my rs sohc is faster then that i believe, i uno, il have to try it some day, that does sound slow tho.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

lol ya my dads saturn with 250k on it with the same stock motor and no rebuild can out accelerate me lol. and it only has the power of a SOHC around 85hp, and mine i just rebuilt it. but what is strange is im only getting around 160 compression in every clyinder, shouldnt it be around 190 or 185? im still trying to figure the problem out. i just test drove my dads car and it didnt have a problem going 60 to 80 in 5th. im not sure whats wrong.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Bumpysbro wrote:lol ya my dads saturn with 250k on it with the same stock motor and no rebuild can out accelerate me lol. and it only has the power of a SOHC around 85hp, and mine i just rebuilt it. but what is strange is im only getting around 160 compression in every clyinder, shouldnt it be around 190 or 185? im still trying to figure the problem out. i just test drove my dads car and it didnt have a problem going 60 to 80 in 5th. im not sure whats wrong.
to put it into perspective, after doing my head, i only had 140 psi. i think its MUCH higher now that the valves have had time to seat properly exct. check it again in a week.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

you check your injectors? they might not be spraying good
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

they are next on my list, i have canceled out the CAT seems good, so im lookin at fuel next. either the pump or the pressure regulator or ya the injectors. would simple fuel injector cleaner fix it? or new injectors?
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Rings dont set right away though, motors do have a breakin period.

I will say loss of power can be anything and everything though it can take a while to track down.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

i would think they would set right after that kinda trip if he broke it in right, although i may be wrong.

there is a guy in michigan that reconditions injectors for dirt cheep, and he does a good job. talk to atlantamx3, hes done it
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ya i mean the engine has around 520miles on it so far, and that was almost all intown driving at different speeds, i can tell that there is more power then when we first put it together but sure seems like it just aint there. im getting around 170psi in every cylinder, and before my head work when i first bought the car i was getting nothing to that and i had more bang. which is really weird. but ill look into the injectors and see what i find. thnx everyone
Jon
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Are you sure the timing is set right (in diagnostic mode)? Have you replaced the O2, ECT sensors. Is the EGR stuff hooked up properly. Do you get any codes when jumping TEN->GND.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

yup re set the timing its right on in DIAG mode, brand new timing kit. the o2 sensor was replaced about 1k miles ago. new disty cap and rotor about 2k ago, same with plugs and wires, egr is hooked up exactly as to the online manual i am getting no codes, but about a month before i did the rebuild i was gettin codes for the MAF sensor and for a TPS but now im getting no codes and i reset the tps. both parts are still stock never replaced them, even after i reset the tps car still bogs and like if u let ur foot off the gas itll totally cut off and pull u then bam itll lunge forward if u just tap the pedal and its annoying especially in 1st and 2nd gear but u can still feel it in all gears.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Bumpysbro wrote:yup re set the timing its right on in DIAG mode, brand new timing kit. the o2 sensor was replaced about 1k miles ago. new disty cap and rotor about 2k ago, same with plugs and wires, egr is hooked up exactly as to the online manual i am getting no codes, but about a month before i did the rebuild i was gettin codes for the MAF sensor and for a TPS but now im getting no codes and i reset the tps. both parts are still stock never replaced them, even after i reset the tps car still bogs and like if u let ur foot off the gas itll totally cut off and pull u then bam itll lunge forward if u just tap the pedal and its annoying especially in 1st and 2nd gear but u can still feel it in all gears.
You might want to check your tps again, also check the fuel pressure at the rail and how long ago was it you changed your fuel filter?

In addition you need to check the MAF boot for cracks, its a common problem and can cause serious driveablity issues.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ya im gonna get a pressure gauge today and check it out, well my maf did go bad a while ago and we took it to one of my buddys dad he checked it out and he said it was ok but i kept gettin codes for it but now im not so i dunno. i changed my fuel filter about 3 months ago right before the rebuild. oh and my tps was broken then my dad messed with it and put jb weld on it and sorta fixed but i thought i was that. lol too many sensors and they are too expensive to just make a guess and go out and buy one both are like 300 bucks.
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-Maz ... enameZWD1V

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda-MX ... enameZWD1V

TPS & MAF are very important parts that affect power drastically.... Dont forget to reset the ecu after replacement. Check for vaccum leaks and run some injector cleaner for the bogging problem. If your MAF is faulty it could also cause bogging....
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

now since i live in cali, and that tps is for a 94? will it still work to pass smog? cuz i had a very hard time when i bought my car, i had to put the stock airbox back on and lots of other things. would this affect it or will it not make a diff? and thank you for taking the time to find those.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”