Turbo burning oil

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

Turbo burning oil

Post by ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005) »

Having a problem here. Seems that my engine is burning oil and im not sure how its happining. there is NO oil entering from the intake tube because its bone dry, it starts burning oil as soon as the engine starts and after removing the plugs i have noticed (befor starting the car ) that there was oil in all 4 cylinders. its funny because it dosent appear to be a head gasket because of oil in all 4 cylinders and the fact that there is no overheating and the engine runs very strong. compression is within 180 -187 psi in all cylinders. im using the fuel filter trick between the pcv and the intake to prevent oil transfer.and before the oil burning got this bad it would be much worse on boost and engine rpm's above 3 k. its burning a LOT of bluish smoke so right now im not driving it untill i figure out whats wrong. any help would be appreasheaded. oh and this is on a 94 1.6 DOHC
Apexi Safc 2 ,Timex Boost-Temp-Oil Gauges, Stage 1 Performance clutch, 8.5 mm Magnacore plug Wires,2.5 inch exhaust, Cold Air Intake , Short Shifter , High temp rotors & Ceramic pads to slow it all down !
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

remove the intake from the turbo and check for play on the turbine .
A little side to side it fine, any in and out and its time for a rebuild.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

ok ! after closer inspection and a 2nd compression test today i have noticed that cylinder 1 closest to the distribitor was the only cylinder with oil soked plug and a LOT of oil in the cylinder. after the compression test today all other cylinders read between 185 - 190 PSI while cylinder 1 read 230 PSI with oil very visible on the piston. engine never overheated after the 45 minuet drive home and oil dose not appear milky nor the coolant. also compression held 230 PSI for several minuets. anyone have any idea what this could be ?
Apexi Safc 2 ,Timex Boost-Temp-Oil Gauges, Stage 1 Performance clutch, 8.5 mm Magnacore plug Wires,2.5 inch exhaust, Cold Air Intake , Short Shifter , High temp rotors & Ceramic pads to slow it all down !
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

What about the vaccum line that goes from the intake hose to the valve cover on the driver side (not PCV) - is it vented with a breather filter or is it connected to boosted intake?
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

yeah i just have that connected to a breather
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

all though today after disableing the fuel system and iginition systems and cranking the engine over 10 times i noticed that fresh oil rolling down the piston in cylinder 1, so im assuming there is a head gasket leak maybe like one of the oil galleries next to cylinder 1. is it possible to have good compression but just have oil leak from an oil gallery to the cylineder ? thanks for the help !
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Maybe the filter at the PCV is not doing the trick anymore - a proper oil catch can might be good - they are like $30 bucks shipped on ebay.

Just to diagnose - maybe you can run without boost for a while and see if the problem goes away
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

it seems like the compression would be low on the cylinder if the head gasket was leaking that much. i don't know how much oil pressure our cars run but it isn't 180psi+. if the hole was big enough to let oil in, it would definetly let compressed air out.

could it possibly be a valve seal or something? that would leak oil directly to the cylinder keeping the intake clean and also keeping compression numbers high. you would have to mess the seal up pretty bad to make it leak that much.

when does it blow blue smoke? when boosting i assume... how about at idle?
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

actually its boost/RPM related even when im not bosting it smokes bad in accordance with rpms. i thought about valve stem seals but the amount of oil entering the cylinder is ALOT. even if oil pressure is around 40-50 psi at idle if there was a leak from an oil gallery next to the cylinder wouldnt the oil still enter being that air is compressable and a liquid is not ? i can say that i very much doubt a valve stem seal only because running condition never changed and just the amount of oil entering cylinder 1, it was enough that i could see oil about a half inch wide rolling down the top of the piston . either way i will have to remove the head so im just going to order a gasket kit and do all of them. dose anyone know if it would help to hone the cylinder while the heads off ? i know this is normally done on new engines i was just wandering if it could help the rings seal better on a used motor. thanks

Return to “Forced Induction”