Would these CAIs will work on our V6 1.8 motor?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mmmx3

Would these CAIs will work on our V6 1.8 motor?

Post by mmmx3 »

Hi guys,

My V6 1.8's intake hose has cracks. I tried to use the good duct to make rounds and rounds to tape it. It worked for a while but now it cracks again and my idle is rough or just stalls. The intake hose costs from mazda is about 75USD ( i checked with them ).

Do you guys have any way to fix it? I think of using some universal hose or turbo silicon hose to replace that but I am not sure if it is okay and the diameter will work. Anyone has any info on the diamaters of our intake hose?

It's diffficult to find a special V6 1.8 CAI on ebay under a good budget. I even emailed some of the sellers and they said it won't work on my engine. Do you guys think that these two CAIs from V6 2.5 will work on our V6 1.8? (I know you guys know better than the sellers) Do we need to do alot of mods to make it work? Our battery location is different from the V6 2.5 I am just not so sure. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-94-95 ... 8672QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2PC-93-9 ... 0350QQrdZ1
ken
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

I'd say it would probably work though i dunno though the k8's neck bend is a bit more. You can use either an integra or prelude CAI (make sure its teh 2 piece)
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

My friend, it appears that you haven't mastered or even used the "Search" function or else you wouldn't be asking this question. In using the search you would have found like Mnemonic said that the most inexpensive and easiest option with regards to a CAI mod to our car is to use the 90-93 Integra's CAI. I found 9 pages under that listing in ebay. As I said, had you done a search and I strongly recommend that you do in order to do this yourself, you'll notice that having that configuration as depicted for the MX6/626/PGT you'll be creating a HAI and not a CAI. Here's what you should be looking at. The 2 pieces and bends in these units will be self explanatory once you've done a search using "CAI" in the "V6 Performance" forum. I imagine the next post we should see about your CAI will be pics with you with a very happy face showing your recent install of the mod. g/l
BTW, I'm assuming that you don't live in North America and it would be very helpfull to get more precise answers if you take the time aside from your search to complete the rest of your profile as to your location. Also include in your signature block your year, model, tranny any mods that have been done. It makes our answers to your questions that much more germain and precise. cheers mate,

John

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-93-Ac ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-01-Ac ... dZViewItem

Both of these will work;

'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
mmmx3

Post by mmmx3 »

Thanks for your responses, guys.

I definitely want a CAI not HAI. Thanks for the pictures and links, moderator. :D I think I like the second picture's Intake better. Is that easier to install?

Why do you assume I'm not living in NA? Is that becaues of my grammar problems? :(

I actually tried to use the search functions a few times but I couldn't find what I wanted. It seemed that there's no column for me to type any key words...*weird* So I decided to post a topic. Also, I'm not quite used to the color background (black) yet in this forum. Everything seems so mysterious to me.. :D
ken
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

mmmx3 wrote:Thanks for your responses, guys.
I definitely want a CAI not HAI. Thanks for the pictures and links, moderator. :D I think I like the second picture's Intake better. Is that easier to install?
Why do you assume I'm not living in NA? Is that becaues of my grammar problems? :(
I actually tried to use the search functions a few times but I couldn't find what I wanted. It seemed that there's no column for me to type any key words...*weird* So I decided to post a topic. Also, I'm not quite used to the color background (black) yet in this forum. Everything seems so mysterious to me.. :D
Maybe it was the $75usd thing. There was no loction posted on original thread .... no matter. Both systems will work. The reason being is that both of those will need some minor cuts to each of the tubes to give us the necessary radius bends and length of runs required for our car. Remember these were designed for an Acura but was selected as the best choice because it had ample and correct bends to the tubes and enough of a length to meet our needs and they're quite inexpensive too. Shipping is usually the bugger with items like these where the vender charges nearly more than what the product's worth in shipping fees. Here's a couple threads that should get you going in the right direction. Close look of the pics will guide you in the correct manner to cut each tube.
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... hlight=cai
Last edited by jschrauwen on June 29th, 2006, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
Si1verBullet

Post by Si1verBullet »

I have been killing myself trying to find one of these for the UK. The US sellers mostly won't ship to the UK.

Found a UK shipping seller, Would this work ? Wrong year Integra .....looks like it has the right bends though ........

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/94-01-Honda-Integ ... dZViewItem
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Si1verBullet wrote:I have been killing myself trying to find one of these for the UK. The US sellers mostly won't ship to the UK.
Found a UK shipping seller, Would this work ? Wrong year Integra .....looks like it has the right bends though ........
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/94-01-Honda-Integ ... dZViewItem
Yep, that should work. OMG, call the coppers, someone's being robbed. £34.99 plus £17.99 postage, that's nearly 3 times more than what it should be. That's just insane. I feel for ya bud.

John
Si1verBullet

Post by Si1verBullet »

You think that is bad ?

Mazda OEM and Pattern paper filter are around 30 pounds.

New flexible section is 65 pounds plus Tax at 17.5 %

So over 100 of our Shiny English pounds, or 163 US Dollars or 202 canadian.

So it works out cheaper than the OEM solution. Which is flawed, and will fail again.

I found a good one today, the Distributer is 420 pounds OEM or 175 pattern part - thats around 840 CAN dollars for the OEM part.

Guess that Ignition module FAQ mod better get done quick..
97' UK V6, Standard.
odds1

Post by odds1 »

Thats nothing.

My car stopped the on friday. Mazda here in Norway wants 10.000NOK for a new distributor.
Thats about 800 £ or 1600 US$. I guess it's time for the GM Ignition module.
Odds, Norway
Red `93 GS, Stock
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

well, if your looking for an intake for the soul purpose that the intake hose is cracking, then go out and by what is called GOP, or something similar. My buddy's dad is a trained machanic who actually teaches it and he suggested i use this for my cracked intake. I slap some on in the cracked area's, and now my car run's like a beauty. No more jumpy idle.

If you want a CIA, then read the rest of this thread. Just my .02
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
Si1verBullet

Post by Si1verBullet »

Dude, 800 pounds ?

I have seen many posts in the Euro forum complaining of high part prices.

Lets set the Euro commision on them.

I have thinking about this recently, there must be some business in exporting Maxda Mx3 parts from cheap markets to expensive markets.

Even if we didn't ship them as gifts and paid import taxes it would still save money with a decent cut for the exporter.

So US is cheap, Canada is cheap - probably due to 30,000 of them living there, and us Euros are getting the shaft .Anyone else got any data ?

Anyone got any contacts with Canadian pattern part manafactuers.....we could set up a direct line with someone.
97' UK V6, Standard.
Si1verBullet

Post by Si1verBullet »

well, if your looking for an intake for the soul purpose that the intake hose is cracking, then go out and by what is called GOP, or something similar. My buddy's dad is a trained machanic who actually teaches it and he suggested i use this for my cracked intake. I slap some on in the cracked area's, and now my car run's like a beauty.
Shhhh, I have managed to source a CAI and look thrifty to the wife. :D

Good call on the goop, but my experience of ghetto fixes is that they will eventually fail again. I don't like that, when I fix something I want it to remain fixed, and I would not want bits of goop getting sucked into the intake when it fails under heat and vibration. >thinks of some more justifications quick< oh who am I kidding < I just want the shiny bits under the bonnet to match my medallions.

I have seen some variant ghetto fixes when looking around to buy. A large tube of heatshrink worked well. The guy who fixed it with Tank tape lost a sale. I have gone for double sided foam tape and thin cable ties for now.
97' UK V6, Standard.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”