Small B6 rods limits...she finally threw a rod!

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
JWMotorsports

Small B6 rods limits...she finally threw a rod!

Post by JWMotorsports »

Last friday I was on my way to work and at the last stop light I threw the #1 rod straight through the block AND the oil pan on the 1-2 shift. First I though it was the differential exploding and spitting a spider gear through the case...but I noticed the engine was missing and barely running. Then this big a$$ floppy piece of metal come flopping out from under the car and smoke started coming out of the hood so I knew what happend then. I shut her down and drifted all the way to work. It appears the rod bolt failed but I haven't torn the rest of the engine out yet. The piston is still in the bore at TDC...which could mean bent valves, but the spark plug isn't bent or even have ANY signs of detination etc...

The stock bottom end w/ the small B6 rods took 24-26psi on a BIG GT30R turbo for over 10,000 miles! I'm impressed they help up that long, but now now its time to quit playing around, put the BUILT bottom end in that has some compression to it and gun down 500+WHP turbo only. Then comes a custom 1 off ported head, intake manifold and MONSTER Intercooler finished off with lots n LOTS of nitrous!!!! :twisted:

Hears what happens when BIG HP throws a rod with NO detination....

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

HOLY @#%$ haha ..ummm congrats? : p hahah what was the HP rated?

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

:shock:

Is it (I guess-was it) a B6T?

I thought those rods were even beefier than the BPT rods...
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

::SPEECHLESS::

I will pray tonight before I go to sleep for that motor. I hope it is in a better place. :(
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

lol. That is sweet.... Welcome to the Zoom Zoom Boom Club :)
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

congrats! at what RPM did it go boom? You remember how much boost? Well.... in 1st gear I doubt it was much.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

about 20+psi @ 7600RPM or as soon as I hit 2nd gear...went by REALLY quick so I'm not sure exactly which point it broke. Can't wait to put the other motor in with the LSD!!!! It should rain pure terror on the street and pull low 10's all day in the 1/4 mile! :twisted:
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

JWMotorsports wrote:about 20+psi @ 7600RPM or as soon as I hit 2nd gear...went by REALLY quick so I'm not sure exactly which point it broke. Can't wait to put the other motor in with the LSD!!!! It should rain pure terror on the street and pull low 10's all day in the 1/4 mile! :twisted:
20 psi in first? Wow. no wonder!!
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Yes it was a B6T...out of a Capri XR2 Turbo. I rebuilt the bottom end with off the shelf Speed Pro Bearings and Beck Arnly Rings. It was sealed up by a Fel-Pro MLS Head Gasket, ARP Head Studs, & Copper Gasket Maker on every thing else. We modified the oil pump for increased oil pressure put in a set of the Corksport Turbo Cams (Web Cams). And the rest you can see in the engine bay!

The B6T's can have 2 different size rods in them. The ones out of 88-89 323 GTX's have VERY beefy rods...larger than the 4G63T's rod base! The later motors came with the smaller rods also found in both B6 & BP series engines. The B6's & BP's can all use the same rods because they all use the same rod length, wrist pin diameter, and crank journal diameter. The rods I broke are the small B6 rods, also found in the BP's. The part I believe failed first is the rod bolts.

The car was estimated to be making around 400WHP and would spin the 225/45-R16 Yokohamma AVS ES 100's even up at 120MPH! I upgraded to 245/50-R16 Falken ZIEX ZE 512's a while back and it still broke traction through 3rd gear until I put the muffler silencer in....it still spun to 70mph in 2nd gear! The gear ratios are HUGE with the 245/50's!!!
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

JWMotorsports on page 4 of your cardomain, is the maf in the pic of that car before or after the turbo.

thanks,
Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

That was back when I was running the stock B6T setup w/ the B6T turbo and manifold. Yes you do want your MAF before the turbo because it isn't a blow through MAS. I'm not sure if the DOHC MX-3's MAS sensors are able to take blow through pressures or not...I wouldn't recommend it unless the hot wire sensor element is pretty hefty. The MAF cars can be upgraded to a 2nd gen RX-7 MAF which becomes a major bottle neck at around 300HP.
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

If you want man when I take out my b6de for my bpt. I will sell you my motor if you wanna rebuild it. It has 160,000 miles on it. Lol this way you don't have a hole in your block and you can get back on the road.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

If it is any time soon I can't afford it...I'm broke...lol! I have 2 more B6T's bored .20 over with Forged pistons but only one set of Pauter Forged rods. Let me know when you do go to sell it, I may take you up on it if it is later down the road sometime. Thank you for the offer!
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

well i still got to get it out of my mx-3. but yeah dude. that sucks. I'll sell you the engine for 200. I kinda blew the diff on the tranny so no one is getting that lmao. 165,000 miles on it but still, with a rebuild it should be brand new.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Minimonster

Post by Minimonster »

Sorry to hear that. Hope to see it up and running again real soon.
Proud builder of
455 hp Miata 10.98@125mph
MX-3 RS 25 psi 451 hp
MX-6 F2T 12.8 @ 112 mph
(Current Project) A 700 hp MX-3 now at 475 hp

Return to “Forced Induction”