Sunroof issue

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
soulja

Sunroof issue

Post by soulja »

I have two mx-3's currently.. ones a project car that has a bum sunroof..it grinds bad..doesnt move..and so on.. will only move with muscle power. Is it just the motor or is there more to this?.. when I "manually" close it it wont stay down ethier. I can just get in the car and use one finger to pop it back up again.

My other MX-3's sunroof works fine, so will just simply swapping the motor fix this problem, or are there other gears I need to change as well?
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

A slow or poor slide could be casued by several issues. First, dirt in the tracks, 2nd tracks out of alignnment, thrid bad motor, fourth bad gears on motor or track from dirt or poor alignment.

Take both sunroofs out then inspect and clean the one you are replacing. See if it will work out of the car. (motor buzzes as it is spinning) If it sounds free reinstall it and see if it will work (grease the slides before you operate it). If not then try the other motor.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

The sun roof can be dropped out of the mx3 as a complete unit,
it weights in at a hefty 15kgs.

To remove said sunroof, you have to remove the roof liner which
tends to s--- itself, its quite weak on a sponge backing. all the
"A" Piller and "B" piller covers cos from memory the power supply
comes up the "drivers side piller" on a RHD.
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Over the last 11+ years, I've found it absolutely necessary to ensure that the track/runners are completely fee of grit and dirt and ar well lubricated. Any difficult movement experienced in the past was due to a necessity for track cleaning/lube.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Ditto. Cleaing them is essential to long life and proper movement.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mx3dude
Supporting Member

Post by mx3dude »

What if the sunroof doesn't necessarily have trouble sliding, but has a lot of trouble just popping up? I have to push it up while holding the button. Could this also be attributed to a bad alignment or dirty tracks? Motors are expensive.
95' MX-3 RS, front and rear stabilizer bars, B&M short shifter, homemade ground kit, all power options just installed, passport 8500 X50 radar detector (+15HP, -8mpg, +20mi/hr top end on the highway)
Ohsnapsitsbri

Re: Sunroof issue

Post by Ohsnapsitsbri »

I am now experience a similar issue, my sunroof was working perfectly fine a little slow but working and then today need a little nudge to open it, once opend it was great then time to close the sunroof and it will not close, i have no experience in electrical wiring or anything actually. but im assuming its something wtih the close button itself since the sunroof continues to open. Can anyone lead me in the direction of fixing this or a good diagram of the electrical under the little dome light panel? Thanks.
-Brianna
93 MX-3 gs v6
Work log: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=76837

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”