Rattling under the hood....

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
silentrite

Rattling under the hood....

Post by silentrite »

This has been going on for a while but i haven't noticed and difference in teh way it drives, just annoying as hell. But at very low RPMS (1000-1300) and normal (2250-3000) it sounds like something is rattling. Again it doesn't shake or anything just makes noise and is definately coming from under the hood. any ideas would be great! i've run out!!!
Ride or Die...but Never Alone
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

you have a cold air intake i bet. and i bet you dont have it strapped down to anything. try that out if that is it.
Mazdaspeed96743

Post by Mazdaspeed96743 »

Same here my CAI rattles when it wasn't straped down.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

yeah, i adjusted my intake and angled it so the fluid resevoir is holding it in place.
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

is it a quiet rattling because I have the same thing coming from the passenger side under the hood at about the same rpm ranges. I just thought it was some shims rattling or something. I don't have a cai so its not that.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

did you work on something recently that could maybe still have a loose piece or nuit or bolt or something? check your flux compassitor. i bet thats what it is.
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

dont rule out you hood rod....
when your checking under the hood, im geussing you use the hood rod, therefor maybe you dont notice it rattling, but when the hood is down, it could rattle.

If its not something very simple, it could be coming from the engine, but with out hearing it, its hard to tell you.
I've been so unsatisfied with my car since I joined mx3.com.
Seeing all the body kits, rims and engine swaps makes me want to spend all my student loans on my car.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

my hood rod, since i have the cold air intake, i took off the ram air duct thing that the hood prop snapped on to, so i just use my radiotor hose piece and it gets the job done, i need to think of a better way to keep it in place.
tallymx3

Post by tallymx3 »

I used the tie of a loaf of bread :2thumbsup: it's so GHETTO but it works. :D
1992 WHITE 1.6l SOHC saving for a BPT swap next year, New interior next month, and new Paint Hooray
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

lol anything that works is not ghetto, unless its only temporary. yah know what i mean.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”