My ac chirps and slows my mx

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mazdamx3sohc

My ac chirps and slows my mx

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

when i turn on my ac my rpms kick up and i drive and every once in a while it wil chirp and squeel at the same time and the car will feel like it nails the brakes. what is it and how can i fix it, pictures will be appreciated.
92mazdaman

Post by 92mazdaman »

the chirping sounds like the bearings in the acualy motor are getting ready to quit my alternator did the same thing and then quit. and the rpms changing< i think> is your alternator being to weak i also have the same problem and i read a post where some guy had the same problem then he swithched the 70amp one with the 90amp one and it cured the problem. i think i will be switching from 70amp to 90amp myself!! again im nopt a mechanic these are just my guesses
im yergie
corbanbrook

Post by corbanbrook »

yah as for slowing down your car... I think of ac as a super charger that just blows the air on your instead of your engine intake :).

In the summer as I drive around with the A/C on at all times i often call it my turbo button and press it(turn it off) when i need some extra power for passing cars. You can feel the extra power immediately too.
92 MX-3 1.6L 4 Cyl SOHC
MPG: 21.5city/38hwy
DJGypsy

Post by DJGypsy »

okay, i'm not agreeing completely with the previous posters.

the belt chirping right when the a/c kicks on is more than likely because the belt is loose. i've dealt with this one before.

as for the increase in RPMs when the a/c kicks on, here's the explanation. if you are at idle and the a/c comes on, the rpms will go up to about 900. the ECU is programmed to do this. this is because if the engine turned at its normal idle speed with the a/c on, it would run awfully rough. this raise in rpms is to smooth out the idle, and also to give the a/c compressor the extra rotational speed it needs to operate better.

now, the loss of power from the a/c coming on, feeling like you hit the brakes. that's because the a/c compressor is taking that much mechanical energy off of the engine to be turned. your compressor might be about to seize. but then again, i notice a power loss when mine comes on also. it's just the engine trying to push the car and cool it off at the same time. takes a lot of energy. something to remember: the engine doesn't just push the car. after all the internal power losses of the engine are considered, the engine still has to drive an alternator, water pump, power steering pump, and that darned a/c. once all those things are done, whatever power is left is to push the car. sad, huh?

so, all that said, good luck. just my $0.02
-Dan
(SOLD) '94 RS, rebuilt B6 DOHC engine & cyl head, ACT clutch, e-bay CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, wide open resonator w/ stock muffler, H&R springs, Tokico HPs, front strut tower brace, KVR drilled rotors w/ carbon fiber pads, Falken tires, Impostor lightweight wheels, Kenwood & MTX sound.

straights are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

YES!!!! I NOW HAVE $0.08 CENTS!!!!!!! lol thank you though that actually made me fell a little better, i always feel like d**n things are breaking in my car.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”