RacingMazda's Project MX-3 (Dyno 475whp@18psi) NEW PIC 4pg

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Limegreen mx-3

RacingMazda's Project MX-3 (Dyno 475whp@18psi) NEW PIC 4pg

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

This is a project that Ric at RacingMazda undertook at the beginning in Jan 06’. My brother and I were able to assist Ric on the project. The purpose of this project is to show the simplicity of swapping out a V6 to a 4 cyl. The goal is to push the BP to its limits and find out how much it can handle without stronger internals or head work.

The vehicle chosen is a 92 Mazda MX-3 GS 24-valve V6 and manual transmission. However that power plant was removed in favor of a more potent 1.8 BP-DE from a 94’ Miata. The drive train chosen is a protégé lx transmission.

The swap was quite simple as sourcing parts from local junkyards were plentiful. All that was need was the 4cly cross member,radiater, shift linkage, and passenger side motor mount bracket. The oil pan was replaced with that of the fwd BP oil pan as well as the water pump. The V6 passenger motor mount was simply unbolted and the 4 cyl bolted in place. No cutting, welding, or any other fabrication. The reason is about a ½’’ gap.

The axles for a protégé LX transmission were used. The splines fitted correctly on the original hub assembly. So that made things much easier as nothing had to be removed and swapped out.

After everything was in place and ensured that fitment was correct and proved to be a direct bolt up, the power plant was ready to be worked on. A RacingMazda custom intake manifold, tubular exhaust manifold, Electromotive TEC 3 standalone, (upgraded) T4 67 p-trim ball bearing turbo, 2.5 in intercooler piping, 31”x 12” x 3.5” front mount intercooler, RC 1000cc injectors,adjustable Cam gears, RacingMazda fuel rail, 255 walbro fuel pump, Aero Motive FPR, Innovate Wideband O2 sensor, Tial BOV, Greddy electronic boost controller, and Tial 38 mm waste gate, and custom 3“ 1 ½ dump pipe. (Upgraded) Quater Master Twin disc clutch & Fidenza flywheel. (Upgraded BP) RacingMazda X-Block converted to a 2.0, X-head port/potish, ferra values & springs, tit. retainer, custom camshaft with a 406 lift, soild lifter shim underbuckets setup. Good for 10,500 rpms!!

(Update) we decided to go all out and junk the stock BP for a all out race setup MX-3 will be dynoed and tracked test within 2 weeks from now 4-19-06

This past Saturday, April 8, the mx3 was slightly tuned and it was taken to River City Speedway and ran a best time of 12.7@106 at 8psi with slicks & race fuel. There were some issues with the boost controller as it wouldn’t go past 8psi.

Time slips and pictures of the project outcast MX-3 will be posted soon.

Last edited by Limegreen mx-3 on May 12th, 2006, 12:42 am, edited 11 times in total.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Nice....but thats going to need a MUCH bigger fuel pump than a single 255 pump for those injectors to be fully utilized. You will also need a bigger turbo to utilize the full capacity of the 1000cc injectors. I'd recommend either the Garrett GT 40R or upgrading that compressor wheel to a T67 (flow for around 700HP). Your also going to need larger IC pipes to flow enough volume to make that much HP (or at least a larger plenum on the IM, 5in w/ that small of IC pipe), larger exhaust wouldn't hurt either.

Breaking internals...I've ragged the crap out of my car for over a month now with a STOCK B6T bottom end (small B6 rods at that) pushing 24-25psi with a 7500RPM rev limit. The turbo I'm using is a Garrett GT30R (not the little ones either). Oil pressure is staying the same, no oil consumption and compression is still holding the same range. The only changes I made to the motor internally are ARP Head Studs, Web Cams, and Fel-Pro Permatorque MLS Head Gasket. The rest is tuning, my EGT's don't even break 1300*F. I'm hoping it isn't going to rain this coming weekend (April 22), I'm planning on making some passes at the NHRA event (Virginia Motorsports Park). Good luck to you all on your project!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

JW- im sure the guys at racing mazda know what they are doing. they have build some of the fastest BP's around. a 255 walbro is good up to 500 hp, the 1K cc injectors will be fine, its way better to have too big of injector and tune it down with your Bas a-- Tec 3 stand alone then to have too small of injectors and try to get them to push more.

limegreen- nice setup, great time, keep us updated on future runs. have you gone to the dyno yet. oh and is that a custom intake mani in there?
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Josh I agree with you. All I'm saying is to reach their goal of finding the physical limits of the BP internals...they aren't throwing enough pressure at it (with out detination) on that setup to find the BP's physical breaking point. TEC 3's are very nice...I was considering going that route but am swaying towards the Accel Gen 7+ DFI. Currently I'm running the old Haltech E6K in complete open loop (desn't even have a o2 feeding the ECU).
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Minimonster

Post by Minimonster »

Thanks for the booster guys. In the past we have pushed the BP to 450 wheel HP on completly stock long blocks. For now that is again the goal. As for the pump We have also made 659 whp on it with that same size urbo and injectors. Yes an upgrade is planned in the future but for now we want to play with the every day parts thats easy to get and install. My main concern for now on the project is finding the right suspension setup.

OH! the I/C piping are 2.5 and the eventual goal for the car is 700 whp.

JWM, I was hoping to be in VA for the NHRA race also But too much shop stuff to do. Good luck at the event and keep us posted on your progress.
Proud builder of
455 hp Miata 10.98@125mph
MX-3 RS 25 psi 451 hp
MX-6 F2T 12.8 @ 112 mph
(Current Project) A 700 hp MX-3 now at 475 hp
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Josh wrote:JW- im sure the guys at racing mazda know what they are doing. they have build some of the fastest BP's around. a 255 walbro is good up to 500 hp, the 1K cc injectors will be fine, its way better to have too big of injector and tune it down with your Bas a-- Tec 3 stand alone then to have too small of injectors and try to get them to push more.

limegreen- nice setup, great time, keep us updated on future runs. have you gone to the dyno yet. oh and is that a custom intake mani in there?
Yes that is a custom intake manifold for the BP engine. IF everything goes well mon,tues and the twin disc clutch and ball bearing turbo and the boost controler are replaced before wed night, Outcast (name of the MX-3) will be dynoed and # will be posted. Thanks for the support but outcast setup is turbo ric setup thats his little toy god i wish it was mine. MY car was on the right white MX-3 ric on the left blue MX-3. Believe me ill get there one day but am already buying parts to do a simlar setup just going to cast a s--- lot of money.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

That is looking awesome. Good time too for only 8psi. :)

Did tou fill your engine mounts or turn them into solid ones or anything? And I am quit interested in what you find for a good suspension setup.

And I would like to note, that is exactly where I put my Oil return :)
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

BuGS wrote:That is looking awesome. Good time too for only 8psi. :)

Did tou fill your engine mounts or turn them into solid ones or anything? And I am quit interested in what you find for a good suspension setup.

And I would like to note, that is exactly where I put my Oil return :)
Well bugs where using bone stock mounts, there are not filled or soild mounts. thanks for the support will keep everybody updated on the progress of OUTCAST MX-3
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

We have replaced all of my suspension bushings with the SRD bushings and they make a HUGE differance. We also replaced my engine mounts with the Mazdaspeed mounts which made a big differance as well. Since Mazdaspeed dosent make the rear tranny mount we used some scrap steel and the TIG welder to turn it into a solid mount. My next problem on the street was traction. The 225/45-R16 Yokohamma AVS ES100's broke traction all the way through 4th gear so we did some chopping to make room for the 245/50-R16's up front (look like ballons hahaha). The car still breaks traction through 3rd gear now but actually moves forward in 2nd gear instead of just roasting tires. As for springs I have Weapon R Circuit Pro Coil Overs.

Suspension Recommendations:

-SRD Bushings (A-Arm, Trans. Crossmember)
-Weld your stock mounts into solid mounts
-At least 250lb springs on each corner (500+lb spring in rear if not daily driver)
-Adjustable struts (At least in the front and turn them to hardest setting)
Minimonster

Post by Minimonster »

JWMotorsports wrote: we did some chopping to make room for the 245/50-R16's up front.
The car still breaks traction through 3rd gear now but actually moves forward in 2nd gear instead of just roasting tires.
As for springs I have Weapon R Circuit Pro Coil Overs.

Suspension Recommendations:

-SRD Bushings (A-Arm, Trans. Crossmember)
-Weld your stock mounts into solid mounts
-At least 250lb springs on each corner (500+lb spring in rear if not daily driver)
-Adjustable struts (At least in the front and turn them to hardest setting)
The circuit pro are coil over conversions. I was looking for actual coil over to get rid of the large spring perch on the factory. I use to have access to some but they got discontinued. I need to find some.
Proud builder of
MX-3 RS 25 psi 451 hp
MX-6 F2T 12.8 @ 112 mph
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Thats the beauty of it.....

use an angle grinder w/ cut off wheel...

wullaahh; you now have clearance, weight reduction, and LOTS of left over cash to spend on more efficency mods :wink:

Hows it get any better than that?!?!?! :D
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

I heard you can use Skunk 2 coilovers. With struts and whatnot.
Minimonster

Post by Minimonster »

BuGS wrote:I heard you can use Skunk 2 coilovers. With struts and whatnot.
I will hold off until I can find a true coilovers. I am checking into a company that will make some right now.

Also the twin disk clutch is getting installed right now. along with the larger turbo. Pic later.
Proud builder of
MX-3 RS 25 psi 451 hp
MX-6 F2T 12.8 @ 112 mph
Minimonster

Post by Minimonster »

On tuesday I got the hair up my a-- to install the new turbo and twin disk clutch. so spending all day to find out that the daam hat on the preasure plate hit the interior of the bell housing and cause the motor to bind. That pissed me off.

The next day I got a new hair up my a--, This one was crazy. So here is what "LimeGreen" and I did.

Installed X or Xtreme products from Racing Mazda

R.M BP X-Block 2.0 conversion (now a square motor)
RM X-Head (port polished, valves, springs, retainers, solid lifters-shim under bucket, and the largest turbo cam possible in a BP. Some 406 or 11 mm lift cams.
Adjustable cam gears, wire the TEC for full sequential.
A different brand TWIN Disk Clutch (this one I know work)
A PT 67 P-Trim bb turbo and new oil lines.

I still have not fixed the boost controler yet. But on the same program for the 12.7 run last week. The car was stupid lean. I had to add 15% more fuel. Then one clean up the local street and I know this car can run hi high 11 low 12 at the same 10 psi.

The car also reminded me that I need to move the rev limit up as I could not keep it off the 8000 that was set on the stock motor. Lucky this new RM setup can go to 10500 k. For now I will set it to 9500 until after the dyno tune.
Proud builder of
MX-3 RS 25 psi 451 hp
MX-6 F2T 12.8 @ 112 mph
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

sounds sweet. basically the same motor im building just different ECU, Turbo, and my cams are bigger. what duration are they?

Return to “Forced Induction”