Short Shifter

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
fellaitai

Short Shifter

Post by fellaitai »

i am thinking of installing a short shifter onto my stock mx3 1.6 liter sohc. the only thing i have done to it is put on a cold air intake and a glass pack muffler, my question is, would the short shifter hurt the stock cluct? you know since you will be slamming through the gears faster. thanks for help
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

A short shifter has no effect on clutch life, althouh they can shorter the lifespan of the syncros in your tranny pending how you drive.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Billyd

Post by Billyd »

stupid question maybe but whats the benefit of the short shifter? Faster shifts? If so , that would prob burn thru any clutch much faster right?
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

I find the best benefit of a short shifter is the "feel". Its much nicer and more positive than the longer, standard throw.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

a short shifter is used to make your shifts shorter. as its name states.

IT DOES NOT DO ANY DAMMAGE TO YOUR CLUTCH

end of story.

Its one of thoes harmless MODS that doesnt do dammage to anything.

Bochek
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

The short shifter,

my second mod
remeber the short shifter just moves you shift point.

the shifter is just a lever , the higher the pivot point is the shorter the shift

jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Billyd

Post by Billyd »

gotcha; maybe since I gotta change the bushings out I should just change that too....
corbanbrook

Post by corbanbrook »

Billyd, im thinking the same thing.
92 MX-3 1.6L 4 Cyl SOHC
MPG: 21.5city/38hwy
mx3dude
Supporting Member

go B&M

Post by mx3dude »

I'd recommend B&M for the job. I just did the swap about a week ago; it was pretty easy and the feel is outstanding. I'm not quite sure why, but I can now get the tires to chirp into second, where I couldn't before. Just my 2 cents
95' MX-3 RS, front and rear stabilizer bars, B&M short shifter, homemade ground kit, all power options just installed, passport 8500 X50 radar detector (+15HP, -8mpg, +20mi/hr top end on the highway)
Jay72

Re: go B&M

Post by Jay72 »

mx3dude wrote:I'd recommend B&M for the job. I just did the swap about a week ago; it was pretty easy and the feel is outstanding. I'm not quite sure why, but I can now get the tires to chirp into second, where I couldn't before. Just my 2 cents
Hey, I just installed my B&M shifter. Did you reuse the top O-ring and the retaining spring like the instructions said? I pushed the shifter into the rubber seating as far as I thought I should and there was no way I could reuse those parts. If I did shove that entire blue pivot housing in I don't think I'd ever be able to get it out if I ever had to. Is that housing supposed to serve in place of the O-rings and retaining spring? It's shifting but, I don't know if the feel is supposed to feel the way it does. Anyone else that has done this install?

Thanks.
Jay
mx3dude
Supporting Member

o-rings and spring

Post by mx3dude »

Hey, I just installed my B&M shifter. Did you reuse the top O-ring and the retaining spring like the instructions said? I pushed the shifter into the rubber seating as far as I thought I should and there was no way I could reuse those parts. If I did shove that entire blue pivot housing in I don't think I'd ever be able to get it out if I ever had to. Is that housing supposed to serve in place of the O-rings and retaining spring? It's shifting but, I don't know if the feel is supposed to feel the way it does. Anyone else that has done this install?
You do not need the white o-rings that were on the original shifter. The housing replaces these. As for the retaining spring, I believe you are supposed to put it back in, but I just couldn't get that thing back in. The shifter sits so tight, I really don't think it's necessary. I've been driving around for a little while now and haven't noticed any play, vibration, or movement. Hope this helps.

Have Fun,
Chris
95' MX-3 RS, front and rear stabilizer bars, B&M short shifter, homemade ground kit, all power options just installed, passport 8500 X50 radar detector (+15HP, -8mpg, +20mi/hr top end on the highway)
dtfbrad

Post by dtfbrad »

well this site is awsome i have found allmost every question i have on here u guys rock!!!
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

i love my pacesetter i can adjust the pivot point on the stick, i dont know if anyone else can, i reused every piece i had went on no problem shifting was a little tight but it wore in. not a big deal mod shifting is much more noticably fast.
Jay72

Re: o-rings and spring

Post by Jay72 »

mx3dude wrote:
You do not need the white o-rings that were on the original shifter. The housing replaces these. As for the retaining spring, I believe you are supposed to put it back in, but I just couldn't get that thing back in. The shifter sits so tight, I really don't think it's necessary. I've been driving around for a little while now and haven't noticed any play, vibration, or movement. Hope this helps.

Have Fun,
Chris
It does help. Thanks.
I don't have to "find" the gear I want anymore but, I was also under the assumption that getting a short shifter installed with the "ever so popular" SRD bushings would eliminate that "shifting feeling" eg: 2nd, click, 3rd, click, 4th... I hope that makes sense. Anyway, I was hoping that I wouldn't feel that shift between gears. Could it mean that I've tightened the bolts too tight or is that normal?
dtfbrad wrote:well this site is awsome i have found allmost every question i have on here u guys rock!!!
Yeah, I love this forum. I'm on here so much and I'm sure everyone's sick of all my questions :D but, I've learned so much about my car and about cars in general. Everyone's very helpful as long as you do a proper search first. Welcome to MX-3.com.
Jay
Last edited by Jay72 on April 16th, 2006, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

if there was now space between first and second where would the neutral go?
nick

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”