TW motorsports turbo pipes

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Rick Johnson

TW motorsports turbo pipes

Post by Rick Johnson »

I don't know if anyones noticed but http://www.twmotorsports.net has there v6 hotpipes on sale right now. I'm piecing together my turbo system and I was planning just to make my own, but for $325 thats fawking cheap, now it just comes down to a cost vs time issue. Does anyone know how the fitment is on these? I asked the vendor he said they fit the mx-3 with a bit of modifcation and mentioned some tranny case grinding was required...anyone have any more input on this?
andy

Post by andy »

There are pictures posted on the Probetalk board of my TWM setup.

http://forums.probetalk.com/attachment. ... 1140549435

http://forums.probetalk.com/attachment. ... 1140549470

I was not to happy seeing that sale two weeks after paying full price, Oh well.
The case grinding I mentioned was not Mx-3 specific. Our motor and tranny are the same dimensions. I was thinking that everybodys probes/mx-6's might have a slight interference in the same spot.
My t3/t4 to4e fit in just fine. I have my egr bungs plugged. You still have to cut the front to rear motor mount brace. The pipes are a bit (4-6") longer than needed for an MX-3. I wish the wastegate was routed back into the exhaust instead of dumping, add that to the list of future mods. I am currently not running the drivers side cooling fan. It was DOA before I started the project so I haven't replaced it yet. I do have room in there for one.
I give the hot pipes a :2thumbsup:
but the wastegate a :(
I have been running the pipes for a couple of weeks now and still loving it. the wastegate was suppose to have a 3.5 psi spring in it but I'm making 7 psi with it. and It leaks at the flange. crappy quality I'll need to replace this in the near future with a real tial.

Feel free to ask any questions I'm not trying to keep this a secret.

Andy P. 93 GS 1.8T
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Beautiful setup and it's on a 1.8! way to go, your just the guy I need to talk to I have a couple questions:

1: What are you using for fuel and spark control?

2. Are you using an orifice in the turbo's oil supply line to limit flow?

3. Is that turbo water cooled <I can't really tell from pic> And if yes, where are you tapping the coolant from, I would use the ATX tranny coolant port/retutn under the TB/dist, but I'm still trying to find out which way the coolant flows.

4. So for the exhaust which did you end up modifying to fit correctly, the downpipe or your exhaust. And how are the hangers on the DP if it goes 6 inches to far back.

5. Any plans on upping the boost? I think a k8 could handle more <prolly double that>, plus I doubt you'd be scared of blowing it up because of the availability of 2.5's.

6. You already answered, I've been wondering about those knockoff wastegates <and BOV's for that matter> but you said it leaks so it = garbage
andy

Post by andy »

I consider the 1.8 a learning tool. I won't blow it up on purpose but I am new to the FI world. Besides everything I have on the motor would bolt right up to the 2.5.

1: What are you using for fuel and spark control?
I have an 8:1 vortech FMU, 220 cc injectors. I have plugged the vacuum on the stock FPR. 1 step colder spark plugs gapped to .035". stock ecu, stock fuel pump,stock timing. TPS set to .50 v, Sunpro air/fuel gauge narrow band.

2. Are you using an orifice in the turbo's oil supply line to limit flow?
No. Picked up some 5/32" ID stainless braided hose.
I have it plumbed from the unused side port to the inlet on the turbo.

3. oil only, no water.

4. So for the exhaust which did you end up modifying to fit correctly, the downpipe or your exhaust. And how are the hangers on the DP if it goes 6 inches to far back.
I modified my exhaust. cut it 4.5" shorter. I bent the hangers from the down pipe to fit into the stock rubber coupler.

5. Any plans on upping the boost? I think a k8 could handle more <prolly double that>, plus I doubt you'd be scared of blowing it up because of the availability of 2.5's.
Yes I have plans of upping the boost, I already did by accident. I tried using a MBC I was at 12-14 PSI before looking down at my gauge. I have since taken it out until I can afford a safer way of upping the boost. I got lucky that time, the motor was just starting to knock. Remember, I am non-intercooled right now, 7psi is plenty until I have an intercooler installed. I will also jump on board the next group buy for the Megasquirt.
I am lucky in that one of the guys that builds them lives less than an hour away.

6. You already answered, I've been wondering about those knockoff wastegates <and BOV's for that matter> but you said it leaks so it = garbage

Not only does it leak but 2 of the 4 set screws holding the valve in place vibrated out. The screws holding it together can be stripped out easily. I had to retap some of the threads and use longer screws. the spring inside is a mystery spring, it has no color code on it. it only comes with one vacuum port and they mount it in the wrong place. When you try to move it to the right place, it won't fit. I had to dremel it to make it work. This is a good case for the old saying you get what you paid for. junk.

As for the cheap BOV, so far its good. Its a Greddy knockoff.

I have approximately $1200 invested right now with plans of $500-700 more in future mods. Of course with the price of the hot pipes what they are now I would be under a $1000.

Andy P. 93 GS 1.8T
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

andy wrote:I consider the 1.8 a learning tool. I won't blow it up on purpose but I am new to the FI world.
thats what I said about my first BP.... but ya know, you gotta go out with a bang!
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

One more thing do they have a 3rd bung for an wideband O2 sensor?

Return to “Forced Induction”