replacing brake calipers with newer style?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Postman2K

replacing brake calipers with newer style?

Post by Postman2K »

i'm looking into changing the style of my front calipers, i have been doing some research, and i'm sure others have as well.

can we use Miata, Mx-6 or Mazdaspeed Protege calipers on our Mx-3?
will they mate up with the mx-3 mounting bracket, or do u have to change to spindle?

i know that

'90-'96 Mx-3 calipers and '90-'97 Protege use the same caliper

'98+ Protege caliper change style, but do they still fit?
newflow

Post by newflow »

I found this place a while ago http://www.precisionbrakescompany.com go to the "complete online brake kit catalogue" link.

They have different systems for our car. I havent tested them but this is a good start.
Compact Gladiator

"Do not follow the path, instead; go where there is no path and leave a trail"

WWW.GEOCITIES.COM/NEWFLOW81
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: replacing brake calipers with newer style?

Post by jschrauwen »

Postman2K wrote: can we use Miata, Mx-6 or Mazdaspeed Protege calipers on our Mx-3?
Sourcing a quality set of rotors I think has always been problem. Miata or MX6 are both probably single piston units so there's really not much of an upgrade to be had, I believe. I'm not aware of the Mazdaspeed unit's, but again same rationale applies if they're single piston units. As newflow mentioned, the real night and day differance wrt can be had for those expensive upgrade kits. Utilizing a multi piston, aluminum body units should show significant improvements, not to mention reducing unsprung weight in the process.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”