Possible rear suspension damage

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Hadrien

Possible rear suspension damage

Post by Hadrien »

Wow what a crappy day. I bought my girlfriend a teal 1992 MX3 for Xmas since her old car took a crap and she needed somethign cheap and reliable. It was pretty much in mint shape, 106K, 5SP, 1.6L, etc. Standard MX3.

Today she calls me sobbing that she messed up the car because she slid on some ice and hopped the curb. I drove out to her work and indeed she hopped the curb and bent the front right rim. I put the spare on and had her drive it back, following her home. Im not so worried about the bent rim as I am the rear suspension.

I noticed as I was following her home that the left rear tire it "toeing" out it seems. The bottom of the tire is jutting out from the car more than the right side and top of the left rear tire is pointing in towards the body.

I am not asking you guys to give me an abolute answer as to what is broken. I am mostly asking for some general idea's what to expect when I take it in tomorrow to have my mechanic look at it.

If you guys have any advice, it would be most appreciated. I would try to get pics up, but it is quite dark now and would not show what I am talking about. Thanks in advance! :)

EDIT:

I forgot to ask. Anyone know what a new steel wheel should cost? Or should I try to source out a junkyard wheel?
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

For the front it could be anything. The rear is probly just misaligned, that means you need an alignment, which is probly around 80 USD or so. A steely shouldn't be much. A scrapyard could probly source you one for a few bucks. My guestimate will be 100-300. 300 being if you crapped something importent.
Hadrien

Post by Hadrien »

Thanks a ton for the advice! :) I have been calling junk yards all morning but none seem to have a 14" 4X100 steel wheel. I might just have to buy one new. I got on the ground this morning and did see anything busted, broken, or hanging from the rear suspension.

I noticed there is a tierod I think with a nut in the center that looks like you can adjust to bring the bottom of the wheel in or out. Im hoping that is all it needs and that the problem existed when I bought the car a month ago and I just was not paying attention.

Thanks again.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Yeah, that is the rear Toe link and it may be damaged or just need to be adjusted. Have a 4 wheel alignment done and tell them about the accident so they can pay special attention to any parts that may be bent or broken.
As for a rim, get one from someone on here. Post a WTB in the For Sale forum. You should be able to get one cheap, but the shipping will cost a bit. You will be best off with a MX-3 wheel and not just a generic 4x100. I have seen some people use a generic 4x100 and the hub ring will be a larger diameter. This means that the wheel is supported by the lugs only and they tend to loosen because of the lack of support. Chris, (Greenturd on the boards) had a wheel fly off on him for that reason.

Good luck and I hope your GF enjoys he Mx-3.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Hadrien

Post by Hadrien »

Yeah I messaged a few people about their old wheels in the For Sale forum. I would love nothing more than to get her som actual nice wheels, but if she continues to abuse th car I think sticking her with steel wheels will be my best bet.

I called a few junk yards and one has a 93 MX3 that they said has a few wheels. I am going to head there in a bit to pick up 1 or more depending on price and then hit the local tire place to get it aligned.

Thanks for the advice!

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”