KLZE owners

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Amma351

KLZE owners

Post by Amma351 »

As I said in my last post my car got hit.... however it is fixable! But i will be chaning the whole front end with aftermarket parts, and my engine is damaged so KLZE it is :)

Questions:

1) Where did You get your engine from?
2) Can I use K8 waterpump, alternator, timing belt, distributor, manifold, ECU, stock Axels?
3) How reliable do you find your KLZE?
4) Whenyou take ur car in for service what do you tell the mechanic what car/engine you got? ( because rarely when people know what KLZE is, at least in north america)

I would really appreciete your help on this!

Cheers

Sasha
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

The answer to all of your questions lies within the power of the SEARCH function or the FAQ of this website.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Amma351

Post by Amma351 »

I tried... but I didnt get all my answers and also im looking for personal experience regarding reliability and stuff... also waterpump and timing belt i really want to know.

Thanks again
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Re: KLZE owners

Post by Mnemonic »

Best Japanese Engine in atlanta ga

2) Can I use K8 waterpump, alternator, timing belt, distributor, manifold, ECU, stock Axels?
Yes
Havent had a problem with it yet
4) Whenyou take ur car in for service what do you tell the mechanic what car/engine you got? ( because rarely when people know what KLZE is, at least in north america)
99.9% of the people on this board who have klze did the swaps themselves we pritty much do all work on our cars we dont take them in for service why pay some guy 50 dollars an hour when you are more than capable to do the work yourself.
But if you had to take it in for service you just tell them its a 2.5 motor
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Amma351 wrote:3) How reliable do you find your KLZE?
4) Whenyou take ur car in for service what do you tell the mechanic what car/engine you got?
Sasha
3) Like any other mass produced factory engine from Mazda - no more or less reliable than any of their other engines.

4) If it's engine related I tell them to treat it as an MX6/Probe GT. Tranny, axles, suspension, electrical and exhaust related, treat it as an MX3. It's pretty easy to segregate the differences with a mechanic if he's worth his salt. cheers,

*John*
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Amma351

Post by Amma351 »

Thanks guys!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

- EngineLand in Montreal, I initially heard good things about them, but later got some insight that they aren't the greatest. All signs that I've put together doing research, that I got a bad engine, which is why I think my 1/4 mile and dyno numbers are lower than they should be. In the end, you do get what you pay for, I cheaped out and this is what I ended up with, but besides for the numbers, she's still hella fun to drive and those issues are easilly forgotten once i'm in the drivers seat.

- Yep, yep, yep (but should be replaced), yep, yep (but restricts power), yes (but when I did, it ran super-rich), yes

- Been over 2 years now and I'm still driving it, and she does by no means gets babied

- Millenia 2.5L V6
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Amma351 wrote: 4) Whenyou take ur car in for service what do you tell the mechanic what car/engine you got?
I don't tell the mechanic s---, because I am the mechanic of my own car. No uneducated dipshit is going to ever touch any of my cars unless it's under factory warranty and free .... and even then only for major stuff.
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

lakersfan1 wrote:
Amma351 wrote: 4) Whenyou take ur car in for service what do you tell the mechanic what car/engine you got?
I don't tell the mechanic shat, because I am the mechanic of my own car. No uneducated dipshit is going to ever touch any of my cars unless it's under factory warranty and free .... and even then only for major stuff.
Haha ditto that.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Let me tell you a story about a man named Jed..
He took his car to minute lube..
and now the engine is dead..
Next thing you know Jed is on the side of the road...
Waiting for his friend to hurry up with the tow...
Shaking his head wondering what should he do...
Call a lawyer and hope you can sue...
At first he thought mechanics should do all his toil...
Now behind his car is a trail of oil..
The oil plug gone and his head hung low...
Jed learned shop mechanics have brains of dough...

Dumb limrick.. true story.. Jed learned his lesson though.. he does all of his own oil changes now.. (and no.. this wasnt me but a friend of mine LOL)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

some mechanics have brains of dough, but some i think are just careless because they are sick of fixing rusted old fords for 8 hours a day... working on a car you love is one thing, when you have to deal with peoples pieces of crap with every part siezed and rusted i dont think id love my job too much ......then again, tightening an oil plug is another thing :roll:

lakersfans got it right though, i dont even like taking my car in for an alignment or emissions, i just dont want anyone touching it
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

I'm in the same boat as you. I drove to Montreal to get this engine at Engine Land a few years ago because no one could beat their prices for KLZE engines. At the time, no one really knew much about Engine Land, but luckily a member of this forum lives in Montreal and checked out the place for me.

What I thought I was getting was a KLZE from a Eunos 800 (~200hp), but the engine never seemed to put out that much power (though I know we wouldn't see all that anyway with our MAF). It's got the curved neck like the Eunos engine, square runners and has the KL31 designation, but my guess is that I might have ended up with a KFZE from a Lantis or Australian Millenia, which I'm assuming is around 170hp. Surprisingly (to myself also), I've never dynoed the car, but I may do it soon just to put the issue to rest. I can't really blame Engine Land because there are so many versions of these engines, and all things pointed to this being a true KLZE. And trust me, I did major research before I bought the engine! But who knows, maybe it is a ZE and I'm just imagining not getting as much power as I should.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. It's just that I haven't talked about my MX-3 engine in a while and talk about Engine Land brought me back. :D

Nd4SpdSe wrote:1) Where did You get your engine from?
- EngineLand in Montreal, I initially heard good things about them, but later got some insight that they aren't the greatest. All signs that I've put together doing research, that I got a bad engine, which is why I think my 1/4 mile and dyno numbers are lower than they should be. In the end, you do get what you pay for, I cheaped out and this is what I ended up with, but besides for the numbers, she's still hella fun to drive and those issues are easilly forgotten once i'm in the drivers seat.
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

--All those who wander are not lost-- JRR Tolkien
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

2.5mx3 wrote:What I thought I was getting was a KLZE from a Eunos 800 (~200hp), but the engine never seemed to put out that much power (though I know we wouldn't see all that anyway with our MAF). It's got the curved neck like the Eunos engine, square runners and has the KL31 designation, but my guess is that I might have ended up with a KFZE from a Lantis or Australian Millenia, which I'm assuming is around 170hp. Surprisingly (to myself also), I've never dynoed the car, but I may do it soon just to put the issue to rest. I can't really blame Engine Land because there are so many versions of these engines, and all things pointed to this being a true KLZE. And trust me, I did major research before I bought the engine! But who knows, maybe it is a ZE and I'm just imagining not getting as much power as I should.
[/quote]

Hmm, now I'm worried that i got a KFZE. You know, I dont think we knew about them for swaps back then. Curved neck, KL31 head with square runners, KL01 cams. I'm very positive on those, but what I dont remember now is if the block has KL stampted on it...it should, i would have noticed it, but I haven't looked at that in years..now I gotta check...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

That's just a hunch, but it makes sense, I guess, if the engine doesn't seem to be performing up to spec. And you're right: I never heard about the KFZE engine back in 2001 either, when I bought mine. I'd also have to check the block on mine, because like you I haven't even looked for these things in a very long time.

Nd4SpdSe wrote: Hmm, now I'm worried that i got a KFZE. You know, I dont think we knew about them for swaps back then. Curved neck, KL31 head with square runners, KL01 cams. I'm very positive on those, but what I dont remember now is if the block has KL stampted on it...it should, i would have noticed it, but I haven't looked at that in years..now I gotta check...
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

--All those who wander are not lost-- JRR Tolkien
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I checked with Barry, he sais KL01 cam'd KF's dont exist. Part of me doesn't want it to be a KF, but part of me does, cause it would be a nice explanation, and that means I would be the first Mx-3 with a KF, but I doubt it, I probably just got a bad KLZE

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”