fuel smell outside the car

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
eno

fuel smell outside the car

Post by eno »

My 93 GS has a strong gas smell on left rear side. How to debug this and get it fixed?
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Check your fuel pump for leaks. Check lines... even if its the rear CHECK engine lines... my car fried UGLY because of a needle size leak. Dont over look it. also the pipe that feeds the gas tank when refueling tends to rust.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

hgallegos915 wrote:Check your fuel pump for leaks. Check lines... even if its the rear CHECK engine lines... my car fried UGLY because of a needle size leak. Dont over look it. also the pipe that feeds the gas tank when refueling tends to rust.
how can u tell if theres such a small leak?
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

well it would smell from the front of the car..there are basically 2 main lines that come from the injectors. Just inspect..i think your problem may be a leak with the fuel pump itself or the pipe that i was talking about since its on the outside.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

9 times out of 10 it will be the return line. If your search results in nothing. Clean off all the lines and re-inspect later. Try to do this on a dry day so any fuel may be felt. Another trick, last resort, is to release your gas cap after driving and if the smell goes away after trying this for a week, you know it was a pressurized line rather than the return. Good luck and remember, whenever working on fuel issues, have a fire extinguisher on hand!!!
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
jimishadow

Post by jimishadow »

gas tanks rot also.i have changed 4 in 2 years on 2rs and 2 gs
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Just curious.. when you remove your gas cap.. do you get the sound of vacuum being released? A sucking sound of sorts. If you dont.. try a different gas cap. If your gas cap isnt sealing properly fumes could be escaping around it. Just a thought. Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

Exactly. If your gas cap isn't sealed, it will stink like petrol all over the place and most of your gas will evap and escape =)
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

most likely gas cap leak, emissions places over here make you replace them after a while
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”