manual tranny problems !

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ccmextreme

manual tranny problems !

Post by ccmextreme »

Alright il ltry to explin this the best i can !

Wehre the linkage hooks up tot he shifter like under the heat shield (its like a hole threw the car where the shifter goes in...

No wha tmy problem is is it keep falling so its as if its a hardcore s short shifter... like the linkage (if i hit the shifter up and down it hitting my heat shield......

is there a way to fix it ? this is the second time its happened..and its jsut random that it falls :S ??
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

you mean itsd falling to the ground? not oin the tranny but on the shifter side? of so you can have it soldered i have not yet come upon this problem. There was a guy here selling brackets for that. if its falling from tranny side , check the bolts.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

He is saying that the shifter is falling from inside the car.
A simple bolt, washers and nut through the bracket and into the car will stop it from falling. Make sure to dril the hole for the bolt, through the plate that keeps falling, close enough to the edge that the washers will catch the floorpan of the car and hold it up.

Take all the interior trim off around the shifter and you'll see where to drill the hole and put the bolt and washers through. If not PM me and I can draw a simple "paint" picture if you need. But, Please look first so that I might not have to waste my time making a pic.

Or you can buy a special bracket that Gro Harlem made, but it escentially does the same thing.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
ccmextreme

Post by ccmextreme »

alright thanks
ill check it out tonight tell you whats going on
i might just make 2 somewhat brackets and screw it in with a bold and washer so that it gholds

like 2 sort of metal think sheet metal peieces (rectangular ) one on each sides with 2 screws on each to ghold that up there
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

I have done this exact mod since mine fell through too. Just take apart the interior as PATDIESEL said but then get under car and drill 2 holes beside eachother about 1 inch forward(towards front of car) from circular shift part throught the plate and through the body in front of the shifter(if you were inside) and make sure the two bolts are spaced enough to get a rachet in there between them. Then take the two boltse and put lock washers on them and feed through holes and thread the nutz on from above. It will take 2 people to do. Make sure they are extremely tight and make sure you put twobolts, as one will not do the trick and I also tried putting brackets like you thought. The problem persists that when you shift on and off power, the motor and tranny move and push shifter so there will be a lot of stress on the bolts but after many different mods and a couple flat tires from fallen out bolts...no exageration...a couple flats, this was the best set up as it has held strong for a year now.
Hey, I bet your arm is sore from pulling up on the shifter linkage when shifting....LOL. P.S. that is the shift linkage hitting your exhaust pipes and yes it did nearly scorch my hands off :shock: everytime it broke in the summer since the heat transfered to the shifter....but when it broke in the winter it made a great hand warmer!!!!! :lol: Good Luck. Take my advice, do the bolts as you will have the brackets fall off. Or get that shifter kit. I was too cheap to fix it that route. :wink:
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
mx3stylez

Post by mx3stylez »

this is probably from the shifter plate becoming corroded and the rubber boot that the shifter sits in not being a tight fit. i too had this problem and fixed it with a couple of bolts, it worked, but was not enjoyable. it puts alot of strain on the shift linkage. after a while whenever the engine torques, it started to make a bad metal on metal sound. This winter i am going to fix it right and buy the plate and linkage from mazda ( you have to buy them as a pair) it only costs about $75
klze swap, wisco 8.5 comp pistons, pauter rods, act stage 3 clutch, lightened flywheel, UR racing pulley, flex-o-lite oil cooler, 2.5" custom exhaust with high flow cat, B&M short throw shifter, S&R cross drilled rotors, , B&G lowering springs, maxxim 17" gun metal rims, modded nissan injectors, walbro 255 lph fuel pump, areomotive afpr, msd 6a , magasquirt v3, and turboed
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

mx3stylez wrote:this is probably from the shifter plate becoming corroded and the rubber boot that the shifter sits in not being a tight fit. i too had this problem and fixed it with a couple of bolts, it worked, but was not enjoyable. it puts alot of strain on the shift linkage. after a while whenever the engine torques, it started to make a bad metal on metal sound. This winter i am going to fix it right and buy the plate and linkage from mazda ( you have to buy them as a pair) it only costs about $75
Thats exactly what happens, the rubber dries out and the one bolt underneath weakens as a result of the added pressure.
$75 is cheap...as I said I'm cheap so hey!!!!! This is directly from Mazda?
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I believe this is something made to order that's along the same lines as what Pat described. Appears to be a simple solution.
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=44745
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”