Car Sputters when turning???

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Twyztidmind

Car Sputters when turning???

Post by Twyztidmind »

Ok, i have my MX-3 for about 3 weeks now. Ever since i got it has had this problem.

When i turn corner fast the car wil sputter down and not accelerate for about 2 seconds. When i have a full tank of gas it does not do it as easilly. But if i have about 1/4 of tank the car will sputter and fart just under normal driving... What could be the problem? I was thinking maybe my fuel pump but i dont know.

I have drained all the gas once, and put new in but it did no good.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Check for sediment in your tank, I had a similar issue. It was a car from Florida that had some sand in the tank. I just replaced the tank.
Found it online for about $130USD shipped.

Id replace the fuel pump strainer too.

I went ahead and threw in a new walbro fuel pump while I had it apart.
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

How easy is it to drop the tank out of the MX-3 ?

Also, can you give me some links to where you got or recommend to get a new fuel pump ?

I would liek to go through the fuel system due to the fact before I purchased my car about 3 weeks ago, it was sitting for almost 4 years.

If I do the fuel pump, will I need bigger injectors, better fuel rails, etc ?
Or can I just do a upgraded fuel pump and be good to go ?
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

The upgraded fuel pump is not necessary unless you plan on some good mods. Also you can upgrade the pump and still use the stock injectors and rails for most engine upgrades. (unless good amounts of boost are involved) A stock pump should be fine.

Dropping the tank is not that hard, but will take some time. Take the pump out and look in the tank for sediment before you go through the trouble of dropping it. If you don't see any sediment in the tank try replacing the fuel pump with a remanufactured one and see if that does the trick. I agree with Barry, it sounds like you got a gooked up fuel pump that might be only picking up fuel from one side of the collecter. You should also replace the fuel filter and run some fuel system treatment at the same time you replace the pump. Old gas like that turns into terpentine and will gum up all kinds of parts. You should notice a good bit more power after you finish too.

PS, use the online shop manual to get directions on replacing the pump, fuel tank (if necessary), and the fuel filter. It is on the main page of MX-3.com. On the filter make sure you remember which fuel lines go to which sides of the filter. If you put them on backward the car will not get gas.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

It sounds like you could possibly have bad plugs or wires. More likely the plugs though. Have you checked the condition of your plugs? If not you may want to do that also. I had a similar problem when I got my mx-3 it was a pretty bad miss. I changed the plugs and wires and the problem was solved. You should definately check them out though, if they are bad it will be a lot cheaper to change those, than the fuel pump.
1992 GS ZE swap 94 dash swap drilled and slotted rotors full ceramic pads CS SS clutch and brake lines KL-36 ecu zx-2 tokico struts eibach springs short shifter Tenzo exhaust Hi flow cat 2.5 in piping
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

How would plugs have only an adverse effect while turning?
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

Well, I could see the 'possibilty' of plugs as if you had bad plugs = low spark under harsh conditions such as turning hard = loss of engine power = slow down belt system.

I have a odd grinding type sound when turning left, Only left.
Sounds like my tire rubbing the plastic inner wheel well insert but it doesn't actually touch on either side.

Any ideas ?
Twyztidmind

Post by Twyztidmind »

Thanks Custommx3 and disiel. I will check the fuel pump first, i was thinking maybe the sock was clocked up on the pump.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

mine prolem is also similar...i changed fuel pump..didnt seem to have sedinents inside the tank.. im replacing injectors but well this problem is so freaking annoying
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Twyztidmind

Post by Twyztidmind »

Well, i went out and pulled out the pump, original owner said he replaced the fuel pump about a month before i bought it.

The sock had fallen off the pump, and not only that but it was full of rust and dirt. Im going to go buy a new one tomorrow. There wasnt really anything in the tank except for were the fuel pump went, and i cleaned it out.

Im also going to buy a new fuel filter because im sure its clogged now, since it was running without the sock on it.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

when you turned sharply..the rust and what not prolly shifter and blocked the suction...def if ur strainer had fallen off.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

If the strainer had alot of dirt and rust in it then the tank needs to be dropped and cleaned out. Otherwise all you will do is clog up another strainer and fuel filter. I know that all you saw was around the pump, but there is alot of tank that you cannot see that most likely has crap sitting in it too.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

Would it be wise to clean the tank with like some sea foam type stuff or just get a whole new tank if you find rust in it ?
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

True, if the tank has rust in it, it is only a matter of time before you start leaking and then a great BOOOM under your arse won't be the kick of some sudden hidden power burst from the engine. :lol:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”