New K series engine?

Off-Topic Discussions
mx3tuner

New K series engine?

Post by mx3tuner »

Hey, I just figured I would show you all this. Ford, Mercury and Lincoln just released new cars. The fusion, Milan, and Zepher. These cars all can be equipped with a V6. When I went to thier sites I looked at the pictures of the V6 and was shocked. Here: http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/milan/pe ... v-6_engine
In my opinion....it looks shockingly like the K-series engines in our cars. Haha...how long until someone tries a swap? lol
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

it looks too bulky to fit. but it would be nice to fit a 3l in our cars. and a brand spankin new engine to boot.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

OMG
yeah it's is exactly like the k-series. except with a few years less :)
I didn't thought the duratc engine looked like that
I have their valve seals in my heads, no wonder they are so compatible.
the alternator, disty, pulley, intake, vavle covers, exhaust manifold, ps, oil filter, all at the same place
3.0L and 221hp and 205tq, that would be a sweet swap, but look at the tranny :? only atx..wonder if a G25M-R would bolt on that
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

vozaday2000 wrote:it looks too bulky to fit. but it would be nice to fit a 3l in our cars. and a brand spankin new engine to boot.
too bulky ? looks like the same size to me
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Steve the key word is " And when teamed with the available six speed automatic - exclusive in it's class" means it's an option. So it comes standard with a MTX. Is it missing a few VC bolt down points compared to ours?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

ya I know John but I made the little video play and they said something like it comes with ATX
it's says the mtx comes standard on the I4 but doesn't say squat about the 3.0
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

probably eliminating the mtx because most people choose to lease cars over purchase. After the lease is over its harder to get rid of an mtx
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

It just came to me now that it may come with a normal ATX and it also has a "six speed ATX" as an option. Now that would make better sense. Well, not really, not for people like us who prefer an MTX.

Sorry Steve :wink:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

That engine also comes in a Ford Freestyle SUV
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

JWMX3 wrote:That engine also comes in a Ford Freestyle SUV
lol, yes....i remember seeing that commercial and when it shows the engine, i thought "that manifold holds a close resemblance to something"
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

i am sure it is a kl i can look into it more since we just got a fusion in at work and i can look at the engine code to see what they call it. i ll keep you posted...
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

well did u find out 95rs?
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

not yet the guy who would know was on vacation and he is back on monday so ill try to talk to him if i get a minute and see what he says. it does look like a kl engine but ill find out more tomorrow.
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

I believe the Fusion, Milan, and Zephyr all share the same chassis with the Mazda6. Has anyone considered the Mazda6's 3.0 V6 for a swap?

Also, for the 4 banger guys. There might be a possible swap with the Mazdaspeed6's turbocharged 2.3l I4 with 274hp and 280 torque.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Many people have "considered" swapps, but most are not logicalyl feasable

The reason why we do the swaps we do is cause they bolt in like stock, they are in the same series, K8, KF, KL are all part of the k-series lines of engines, and the B6, BP are part of the b-series. No custom work is required, with the exception of some electical for the 4cyl guys in 94+, but it's basically pop-out/pop-in and everything bolts on right to it, even the transmission.

The problem with swapping in anything else is the money, time and custom work involved. First of all, the K-series is a Mazda engine, the 3.0l v6 mentioned in this thread is a Ford Duratec 30 (Or Mazda AJ since Mazda has a modified head on their version). Because not only are they from a different family, but from different manufactueres, there's a 99.99999% chance that nothing will fit, cause they aren't designed to be compatible. Since Ford and Mazda do work do closly together (and Ford owning a part of Mazda), they may take some design cues from each other, which is possible since the k-series came out in '91 with the K8, and the Duratec 25 (which the Duratec 30 is based from) in '94. The similarties are probably due to the fact is they are both 60* V6 engines.

However, in searching this information, is seems there is a cross-over which may hint the the possibility, but I'm sure it wont be easy. Especially considering the amout of electronic controls on the new engine, putting it in the car may actually be the easy part, getting the wiring and the engine controls working and hooked up will probably be the hard part, but anyway:
The Mazda K family is a 60° V6 automobile engine, ranging from a tiny 1.8 L for the Mazda MX-3 to 2.0, 2.3 (in the Mazda Millenia) to 2.5 (for the Mazda MX-6, Mazda 626, Mazda Millenia, and early Mazda MPV). All are short stroke DOHC engines and were designed to be as compact as possible for short-hood front-wheel drive applications.
Eventually it changed to the Duratec, but for what I've found the early MPV's were based of the 929 and RWD/AWD, and eventually changed over to the Duratec 30 in 2000 to FWD, but in the 10 years, I'm sure there is plenty of changes and even a new platform or two in which the only thing they share is the name.

*Thanks for Wikipedia for the information
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Off-Topic”