COLD STARTING PROBLEMS!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
FEAR93GS

COLD STARTING PROBLEMS!

Post by FEAR93GS »

Okay so this has been happening for the last 2 weeks. My car runs EXCELLENT i've kept it tuned up and everything it's all bone stock. When i've been leaving for work it has been cold around or below 40 degrees & my car just wont start... the battery will run dead if i keep trying it. When i'm cranking sometimes the engine acts like its going to start and puts a couple of times and then dies. I've just changed the plugs, distributor cap and rotor button... I just changed the oil recently but I was having the same starting problem before i did the oil change. This is really pissing me off b/c I don't want to loose my job but today I missed because I couldnt get a ride to work... now that it has warmed up outside my car will start but its too late to go into work today.

Well if anyone on here can help me diagnose the prob i'll appriciate it.

Terry
93' MX-3 GS
Exhaust
OZ Wheels & Kelly tires
Swap coming soon!
Reaver19

Post by Reaver19 »

Wellp, obviously if you have a warm garage or something along those lines keep the car in there, but since you most likely don't...the only thing I can think of is that there is a sensor on the car that determines the temperature of the coolant and based on that it can get the motor running, I don't have a picture right now but I'll try to get you one, make sure all of your hoses from your intake to your VAF are airtight and just check general stuff. I think you can also get a heater blanket for your car to help it start during cold starts, where to get them, I'm not sure, but it would be a good thing to look into.
93' MX-3 - V6 (complete!) KLDE Engine, KL02 VAF, custom fog lights :)
FEAR93GS

Post by FEAR93GS »

Well thanks for that... pls get a pic if you can of what you're talking about.
Thhanks again
93' MX-3 GS
Exhaust
OZ Wheels & Kelly tires
Swap coming soon!
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

try using the online manual. it is found on the mx-3.com page. next time it is cold try giving the car some gas while turning it over. what ratio of coolant are you running? i assume you mean 40 F. do you have a block heater, if you do try plugging it in and see if that helps.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

FEAR93GS

Post by FEAR93GS »

I'll check the coolant, my father told me that its wont freeze until it gets to be like -10degrees F. Maybe the solution is too strong? Well i'll check out the manual I guess. THanks
93' MX-3 GS
Exhaust
OZ Wheels & Kelly tires
Swap coming soon!
gregair13

Post by gregair13 »

try plugging it in? i live in canada. its cold here. my car doesnt start in the cold either, unless you plug it in. last year i had starter problems, nothing to do with the weather. so i guess when this winter rolls in, it will be its true test.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

unplug senosr in the bottom of the tb, open the idle screw almost all the way up, start car...lower idle screw let it warm up, re adjust, ground ten and ground and re adjust idle again and you should be ok in the meantime. I have been driving without one. What it does is determines the temperature of the coolant and determines idle. My car used to flood in cold weather last year, the way I ould start it is remove the engine fuse...start it and connect the fuse as I was starting and she wouold start right off...this year it isnt nthat cold..so I cant determing if the problem was the throttle body sensor//altough it was a different engine. I got a new distrybutor and wires except plugs.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”