Vibration

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Casey Gardiner

Vibration

Post by Casey Gardiner »

I have a ’93 MX-3 automatic trans with 55K miles on it. A few mods on it but nothing too big. Every time I come to a complete stop the car begins to vibrate to a point where it becomes unbearable. When I put the car in Natural it suddenly stops vibrating and starts to be a normal car again. The RPM’s don’t change at all so I know it has nothing to do with a RPM drop. I’m not sure if it has to do with the CAI or what. If you have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks
Casey Gardiner
'93 Mazda MX-3
gapimpin

Post by gapimpin »

cant remember what its called but its something in your tranny... sorry
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

my 94 B6 has a similar problem - there is also a drop in RPM - i am going to try and change my transmission mount and see if that helps. The trouble is finding a tranny mount for auto tranny. Nobody knows if it is the same for auto/manual and there are a lot of stores that carry the mount for manual tranny.
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

do you mean your whole car vibrates, including the steering wheel, if so then you need to get your rotors shaved or replaced.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

Casey Gardiner

Post by Casey Gardiner »

What does the brakes have to with vibration? Im not even sure if the tranny has anything to do with it. I have a feeling that the idel just needs to fixed.
Casey Gardiner
'93 Mazda MX-3
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

i was going by the assumption that as you are slowing down and have the brakes applied your car vibrates. but if you mean while you are stopped it vibrates, i assume by this you mean it it bogs or does your car actually vibrate. if it vibrates then you probably need new engine mounts. if it bogs and misfires then it could be timing, distributor, plugs, wires, etc.

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

Casey Gardiner

Post by Casey Gardiner »

It wouldnt be the engine mount because then the car wouldnt stop vibrating. The only time it does is when im fully stopped. Now Im having the problem where when Im stopped my idel drops all the way down to maybe 300 RPM's. Then when I apply the gas the car will putter until about 2100 RPM's, then runs fine until the next stop....
Casey Gardiner
'93 Mazda MX-3
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

ok so when you are at a complete stop and are holding your brake it drops rpms. try checking to see if your brake reseviour is low on fluid.

Mazda_Power

Post by Mazda_Power »

My girlfriend's ZX2 does it too. Ford has a TSB to repair it. They use different (I assume softer) motor mounts. Let me guess, your MX-3 will drive forward if it's in drive without pressing the gas? The car's trans is tring to go forward but the brakes are stopping it the torque converter makes up for the difference and you feel the vibration throught the motor mounts.
'92 Festiva L powered by a 1.8L SOHC Protege motor - For Sale

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”