kl-ze running kinda bad

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
slimmyslim1420

kl-ze running kinda bad

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

i just got the time on my ze set today, and took it out for a spin, its kinda bogged down though, especially if you give it a lot of gas, and also it still has the 4000rpm hold back like the k8, im running the JE50Mass air flow sensor and the k8 ecu, does that have anything to do with how my car is running?
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

Get a probe MAF(KL02) and a AFPR. The KL02 maf coupled withthe K8 ecu will have you running rich hence the Adjustable Fuel Presure Regulator. I ran this set-up before the ZE ecu.
65 shot > V8
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

actually i found the kl02 vaf and the k8 ecu causing my car to run lean. that is what the dyno said anyways. i was running 14:1. i then put on the je50 vaf with the k8 ecu. it is running richer but is running way better. there was a noticable hp gain with running the je50 vaf. if you get the kl02 vaf then you need the afpr to increase the fuel pressure so you are running richer than the 14:1. if you want proof of the 14:1 ratio then search for my dyno run.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

i would check your spark plugs, and wires to see if you have ample spark to each, and check the gap of your plugs. you said you just got it timed, but it has the symptoms of not being timed. how badly does it bog down?

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

it sound pretty good at idle but is still kinda jumpy it dosent really bogg unless you give it a lot of gas at low rpm,but it was kina hard to set my time cause i couldnt get the car to idle in diagnostic mode, i adjusted the idle tremendously but it didnt help,but i thought when you put in the ze it wasnt supposed to have the 4000rpm hold back or is that in the ecu?
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

i'm sorry but i don't understand by what you mean by the 4000 rpm hold back.

slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

when i was driving my mx-3 with the 1.8 it would wait till 4000rpm till it would really kick down, and throw you in the seat, and every where i read about the ze it said that it wouldn't do it, so i was wondering if that would be in the ecu, cause my ze is still doing that, also another question can i use the plugs and wires off of my 1.8?
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

ya it still does through you back in the seat at 4000. that is where your powerband starts. but with the k8 ecu and je50 vaf you should notice at approx 5000 rpms it will give you another kick. but you are right the low end power should be more then what it was. it should be a smoother transition between 3000 to 4000 than it was with the k8. why size of exhaust are you using, it may be restricting air flow if you are still using stock exhaust. also a CAI helps with low end power. i don't know how the ze runs with stock exhaust or stock intake but i assume that it would have lower low end hp than what it would with these mods done.

slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

i have a high flow cat and 2.5inch exhaust with a tenzo tip, and a weapon-r short ram intake, but can i use the plugs and wires off the 1.8?
FIMotorMX-3

Post by FIMotorMX-3 »

When you say it doesn't really kick in until 4000 rpm, kinda makes me think you are experiencing VRIS. My buddy first noticed it in my mx when I still had my k8.. He was riding in the back seat and said, damn, does this thing have vtech? VRIS kicks in at two different points. Around 4000 rpm and 5500 rpm. You will also notice this in the ze. The car running poorly could be due to the fact you are still using your k8 ecu. I ran my ze with the usdm vaf and ecu and it ran horrible. Since then I still use the same vaf and have swapped to the kl36 ecu. The difference is night and day. The car still runs a little rich but nowhere near what it did with the k8 ecu. Also your gas mileage is suffering considerably without the use of a jdm ecu. I was only getting about 10-11 mpg until I got my kl36. Now I'm up to about 20-22mpg. I also had the same problem with running in diagnostic mode with the us ecu. Car would just shut off. I haven't tried to set anything with the jdm ecu because once I plugged it in, everything seemed to be fine.
sold it to a friend.93 green MX-3 with ZE swap. KL36 ecu, modified carbon fiber intake from a civic hatch. Centerforce Dual Friction clutch from MX-6. black Konig Minuz wheels, Synthetic fluids, 3 gauge pillar pod with air/fuel, water temp and oil press. Autometer Shiftlight. B&M short shifter. 2.25 piping with a Greddy SP1 muffler, AWR urethane front motormount, pheno spacers, Intrax Springs, Mazdaspeed Sideskirts. The New Ride is a 2003 1.8t a4
check out myspace:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D795345349

my cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2142324 UPDATED!!!! 08/28/06 newest pics
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

what vehicles can i get a kl36 ecu out of?
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

i just read on another post that the kl36 is ATX and the kl31 is MTX is that true,is your an automatic FIMotorMX-3, mine is straight shift
FIMotorMX-3

Post by FIMotorMX-3 »

LOL, I just posted on that forum as well. I have a 5 speed. I think that's the only difference between the 36 and 31 ecu. If you had an auto tranny with the ze swap you would have to get the 36 ecu to run the tranny. The 31 wouldn't control an auto. But I think it's just a matter of a wire or two difference. Since your car has the manual tranny wiring harness, those wires controlling the tranny would just be empty making the 31 and 36 identical. I think that makes sense.

Search ebay for kl36 or kl31 or klze ecu. You should get a few items in return. I got my 36 from Rick Johnson (his mx-3.com name) on ebay. Don't remember what his name was on ebay but he had quite a few up for sale at one point. The jdm ecu's were off of the JDM Millenia and MX-6. I'm not sure of their names in Japan off the top of my head but that's what they are out of.

Have you had problems with the car stalling and not starting back up right away. Your bogging could be the engine dumping way too much fuel and causing it to flood. Making it hard for your car to create spark. When I used the kl01 ecu, I was running so rich that the engine would flood and I would have to park the car for hours before it would start again. Changed the ecu and problem solved.
sold it to a friend.93 green MX-3 with ZE swap. KL36 ecu, modified carbon fiber intake from a civic hatch. Centerforce Dual Friction clutch from MX-6. black Konig Minuz wheels, Synthetic fluids, 3 gauge pillar pod with air/fuel, water temp and oil press. Autometer Shiftlight. B&M short shifter. 2.25 piping with a Greddy SP1 muffler, AWR urethane front motormount, pheno spacers, Intrax Springs, Mazdaspeed Sideskirts. The New Ride is a 2003 1.8t a4
check out myspace:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D795345349

my cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2142324 UPDATED!!!! 08/28/06 newest pics
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

my 1.8 was a 5 speed, but the klze i got came with an automatic tranny attatched, but i didnt keep it i got an LSD 5 speed and went with it, but the wire harness im using is from my stock 1.8
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

now slim the debate to go with now is, do you want to spend $200+ for a kl31 ecu or do you want to pay $400 to get a standalone fuel management system. the standalone will later allow you to turbo your car, and will give you better control over what settings you want for your car. and you can run both the kl31 kl36 ecu's without consequences with a manual.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”