SHORT SHIFTER HELP

Other - General Mazda Discussions
ooELMOoo

SHORT SHIFTER HELP

Post by ooELMOoo »

I jsut got a new short shifter and installed it...well did my best lol......there where two ruber rings on it and i had to take one of to make it fit in but when i dropped the shifter in it wont come out lol...and now its realy wobbaly ......also on the bottom where it attachets it isnt the as big as the old shifter .....anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it...thanx.......and i was hopeing the short shifter would be like half the size of the regualer shifter its only like 2 inchs its just longer in the bottom to make ur shifts shoirter lol...
----------------
| CUSTOM X3|
----------------
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

What brand shifter is it so that people with the same brand can help. Did you put the spring that sits on top of the ball back in? You need to find out what is holding it in and get it out so that you can put the second rubber piece on. As for the bottom someone with the same shifter may be able to answer that. I have seen B&M ones and the adjustable kind from Cork Sport, both are the same size attachment for the shift linkage.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

Did you get one for an mx-3? I know the mx-6 takes a smaller bolt so our bolt wont even fit through the shifter. As for the rubber pieces you mentioned...Stock our cars have two white plastic pieces that cradle the ball on the shifter, and a spring that keeps everything firmly together. If you are saying that you left one of those plastic pieces off...its no wonder your shifter is wobbly...nothing is really holding it in. The spring should be a good tight fit.

Like Pat, I would ask what brand shifter you have and...if you could post pictures we could be more helpful. If you are unhappy with the height reduction of the one you have get the PaceSetter Adjustaball from corksport...you can drop that one all the way down to where it will hit the exhaust...not that, that is a good idea.
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

my ST was like that to but i didnt have to take the rings out. But i got some washers and put them on the rod so it doesn't wobble so bad but my shifter is wobbly but i like it like that. I dont have to worry about it getting stuck.
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
bulaian

Post by bulaian »

I'm having the same issue right now with my fidanza short shifter

the bottom where it connects to the linkage is not as wide as the stock shifter so it's really wobby. I was wondering if there's a solution to this?
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

I made some custome spacers.
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
bluemx3

Post by bluemx3 »

I just bought some original Mazda Mx3 replacement bushings for a Mazda dealership for $7.00. I haven't installed the shifter, but I assuming being original equipment that I shouldn't have any problems, go to Mazda and try their bushings. That should illiminate the woobling.
Owner of 7 different cars, 5 being convertibles. 1990 Miata is one of my summer fun cars. I enjoy that car so much, I thought owning a MX3 would be fun also. Drive with your top open or top down. See my car web site at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/816145
4gotn

Post by 4gotn »

not to revive an old post but incase anyone doesnt want to do all that and just wants their shifter a little shorter all i did was get a deep welled shift knob and just custom made the bushing for it so that the shifter almost reaches the top of the shift knob...its probly 2.5 in long..maby 3...you do the math
1994 MX-3 1.6L B6DE 16v DOHC - rear disc swap, nix power steering/ac, Corksport f&r strut tower bars, Pedders urethane control arm bushings, urethane motor mounts, steel braided brake lines, painted dash, protege tranny
90 Miata w/ b6, Konig Lightspeed rims, Cams (boost to come soon)
74 Porsche 914 w/ 1.8L - restoration prooject

mx3hatchcrap

Post by mx3hatchcrap »

4gotn wrote:not to revive an old post but incase anyone doesnt want to do all that and just wants their shifter a little shorter all i did was get a deep welled shift knob and just custom made the bushing for it so that the shifter almost reaches the top of the shift knob...its probly 2.5 in long..maby 3...you do the math
do you have pics?
of the bushing and what brand knob you have?
My Beater Mx3 is For SALE!!! >
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

My source of Life: Psalm 118:8 (the very center scripture in the bible!)
4gotn

Post by 4gotn »

i got rid of the shifter about a month ago so no
1994 MX-3 1.6L B6DE 16v DOHC - rear disc swap, nix power steering/ac, Corksport f&r strut tower bars, Pedders urethane control arm bushings, urethane motor mounts, steel braided brake lines, painted dash, protege tranny
90 Miata w/ b6, Konig Lightspeed rims, Cams (boost to come soon)
74 Porsche 914 w/ 1.8L - restoration prooject

Return to “General Mazda”