Gauge Pods, and aftermarket gauges to fit

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
MHMX-3

Gauge Pods, and aftermarket gauges to fit

Post by MHMX-3 »

Was wondering where I can order some gauge pods, or atleast get a couple aftermarket gauges to get started. I was thinking oil pressure, and water temp. Where is the best place to purchase the gauges, and the gauge pods? Thanks
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

How many forums are you gonna post in about this? ;) LOL

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
FIMotorMX-3

Post by FIMotorMX-3 »

:werd: For a second I thought I went back to the wrong forum... I wonder if this topic is posted anywhere else.. I'm gonna go check the suspension threads....
sold it to a friend.93 green MX-3 with ZE swap. KL36 ecu, modified carbon fiber intake from a civic hatch. Centerforce Dual Friction clutch from MX-6. black Konig Minuz wheels, Synthetic fluids, 3 gauge pillar pod with air/fuel, water temp and oil press. Autometer Shiftlight. B&M short shifter. 2.25 piping with a Greddy SP1 muffler, AWR urethane front motormount, pheno spacers, Intrax Springs, Mazdaspeed Sideskirts. The New Ride is a 2003 1.8t a4
check out myspace:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D795345349

my cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2142324 UPDATED!!!! 08/28/06 newest pics
neutral
Supporting Member

Re: Gauge Pods, and aftermarket gauges to fit

Post by neutral »

MHMX-3 wrote:Was wondering where I can order some gauge pods, or atleast get a couple aftermarket gauges to get started. I was thinking oil pressure, and water temp. Where is the best place to purchase the gauges, and the gauge pods? Thanks
Scroll 1/2 way down the page at this link and you'll see MX-3 listings for pillar gaugepods with and without autoseatbelts, http://www.gaugepods.com/mazda.html
Image -Jim
blkmx3ze

Post by blkmx3ze »

Those are nice...
MHMX-3

Post by MHMX-3 »

what size are the pods for the gauges, and what site would you recommend to purchase gauges? Also, if I have automatic seatbelts, what type of install is required for the a pillar pods(bolt on, etc). thanks guys
FIMotorMX-3

Post by FIMotorMX-3 »

If you looked at the other post you made in appearance you would see what I wrote. The gauges are 52mm or 2 1/16. It says that right on gaugepods homepage. You can order from a ton of places for gauges. Nopi, Summit, Jegs, etc. etc. etc. It's your choice whether you want digital or mechanical gauges. I personally went digital but that's because i got two gauges for free. Autometer, Defi, Nordskog are all good gauges but there are a lot of brands to look for. If you go to http://www.summitracing.com and search guages you can look around and decide for yourself what suits you best.

As for fitment. It's ok. I removed my A pillar which was held in by only a few clips I believe. The pod just slips right over the pillar. So I test fitted it and trimmed anything that needed to be trimmed with my dremel (which wasn't much). Slip your gauges into place, wire them up, screw the pod to your pillar and clip the whole assembly back into place. I'm not 100% happy with the fit but it looks pretty good when installed and It was really easy to do.
sold it to a friend.93 green MX-3 with ZE swap. KL36 ecu, modified carbon fiber intake from a civic hatch. Centerforce Dual Friction clutch from MX-6. black Konig Minuz wheels, Synthetic fluids, 3 gauge pillar pod with air/fuel, water temp and oil press. Autometer Shiftlight. B&M short shifter. 2.25 piping with a Greddy SP1 muffler, AWR urethane front motormount, pheno spacers, Intrax Springs, Mazdaspeed Sideskirts. The New Ride is a 2003 1.8t a4
check out myspace:

my cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2142324 UPDATED!!!! 08/28/06 newest pics
MHMX-3

Post by MHMX-3 »

just got the a pillar gauge pod. it looks pretty sleek. I decided to get the black color because i didnt like the grey color in the car already and decided to just paint it anyways. Still waiting for the gauge i ordered to see how it all looks. To those who have multiple gauges in their pod, did you wire these all to a circut, or just did it separate to the battery. My thoughts would be to just find a hot line and wire all three gauges to that. After having installed the glow gauges, i probably just wire the line to the wire that turns on the gauges when the headlights get turned on. Is this a bad idea? Because would this mean that the gauges will only work with my head lights on? Thanks for any replies
FIMotorMX-3

Post by FIMotorMX-3 »

I used the positive and negative terminals located behind the gauge cluster for my power leads. If you have already done indiglo gauges you already know it's not hard to remove the cluster and the connections are labeled on the board. All you have to do is loosen the screw and attach the wiring. This gives me power at all times when the car is on. Not just when the headlights are turned on.
check out myspace:

MHMX-3

Post by MHMX-3 »

that sounds really easy, and yes, i know that its very easy to remove the cluster. was wondering, if your gauges in your pod are back lit, and you use the leads from the cluster, are the lights in the gauges always lit? cause if not, then that sounds like a great idea. secondarily, where is your connection to retrieve information for your gauge, i.e. if you have a oil pressure gauge, can you connect that to the back of the cluster? thanks
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: Gauge Pods, and aftermarket gauges to fit

Post by jschrauwen »

neutral wrote:
MHMX-3 wrote:Was wondering where I can order some gauge pods, or atleast get a couple aftermarket gauges to get started. I was thinking oil pressure, and water temp. Where is the best place to purchase the gauges, and the gauge pods? Thanks
Scroll 1/2 way down the page at this link and you'll see MX-3 listings for pillar gaugepods with and without autoseatbelts, http://www.gaugepods.com/mazda.html
Jim, I'm a bit confused. The link/site only shows the two - a 2 pod full pillar that's for the non auto seatbelts and the 3 pod full pillar that's for the auto seatbelts. I don't understand why the auto seatbelt config would allow for the extra pod and the non auto seatbelt doesn't. *scratches head and doesn't understand* What am I missing here? I myself would prefer to have the guages up rather than downward and having to look away from the road - safety perspective. I would definitely want a 3 pod full pillar unit.....would the auto seatbelt pillar fit my non auto seatbelt or would there be gaps of fitment issues.?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

yea, they only offer the 2-pod style for manual seatbelts. Dunno why. I've ck'd around the Net but never seen a vendor offer the 3-pod style for the manual seatbelts altho mighta been a special group buy for em 2-3 yrs. ago if mem serves. 3-pod style for manual seatbelts would be preferable w/me too. Shouldn't be fitment probs with the auto seatbelt slotted 3-pod style on our pillars but would expect there'd be that gap where the seatbelt track cutaway is. :x
Image -Jim
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I just spent the last hour scouring the web for a 3 gauge pod for manual seat belt MX-3's.. and came up with squat. Too Much Time just sold one in the Buy/Sell forum.. said he thinks it came from psituning.. but I couldnt find anything there. I would like to know where to get one eventually as well. I like my gauge panel just fine.. but even if I had 3 on my panel... I would still want others on the pillar. Gauges in my car are kinda like ladies in my harem (heh.. if I had one of those even LOL ).. The more the merrier ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Eric and Jim, would this work for you guys...a bit pricey but with the exchange rate a little better in your case.
http://www.psituning.ca/store/product_i ... ucts_id/38
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Thanks John.. site is bookmarked ;) I couldnt find it when I was going through their site earlier.. must have overlooked it.

Tunes67

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”