Your dream ze rebuild

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Your dream ze rebuild

Post by MX-3 Money »

I'm bored and thinking about what I could do to my ze, So lets have some fun. Say that you had a ze just layin around and you wanted to rebuild it, what would you do to it? Up the displacement? Change the compression ratio for a turbo/sc? New cams? Or just put in a whole bunch of bulletproof parts so she'll be strong. Or all of the above lol, and moneys no object. Now after you list what you would do, take a guess at how much power you would create and I guess how much money you think you'd spent. So just have some fun with this cuz I'm interested to see what ideas some people come up with.
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
Kokiriwave

Post by Kokiriwave »

klze

bore and stroke to 2.7

bulletproof with upgraded H beams, pistons, ext
sequential turbo, t25 & t04
I want MAZDASPEED!
MY WEBSITE:: http://kingmx.net
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

my dream KLZE? see babybluemx3's motor and there she is. :D
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

bmwm3guy wrote:my dream KLZE? see babybluemx3's motor and there she is. :D
lol ditto
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

Im AM building my dream engine.

Still waiting for fricken rods and pistons, then it all goes together.
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

ya babybluemx3's is sweet and is going to haul a--, but no one has anything "new" they wanna try?
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

drop it in a civic and blow their minds why you go so fast
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

johnnyb wrote:drop it in a civic and blow their minds why you go so fast
meh, theres already a LOT of very fast civics that are quite a bit faster than fully built ZE's
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

johnnyb wrote:drop it in a civic and blow their minds why you go so fast
hahah or you could just leave it in an mx-3 and blow their minds that way lol
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

I am half through my KLDE build right now.

Forged 331 stroker mustang rods, .11" overbore (2.5mm) to make it a true 2.6L, 300zx twin turbo pistons for 9:1 compression. New bearings, nissan rings, duratec valve seals, and some mazda gaskets. Done.

Good for reliable 450-500 whp, more if I want to push it further.
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

Spink, here's my thoughts.
I'm using are stock 300zx twin turbo cast units. This takes a lot more tuning and are much easier to break if you detonate, so in essence the engine will not be "bulletproof" however, when tuned correctly the rods and pistons will have no issue at the 450-500 hp level.

IF you plan on running nitrous or are not very good with tuning, I still would suggest forged pistons.

I've done a lot of research before I decided on my setup.

If you are looking for forged rods/pistons, take my suggestion for the cheapest route.

Use forged mustang 347 stroker rods (not the 331 like I'm using) off ebay. Search for TMD, they sell a set with ARP bolts on ebay for $150.

They use the standard .912" wrist pin for ford V8's and are 5.4" long vs. the 5.426" of the KL. The big end width is correct to fit in the crank, and .40 over 302 ford rod bearings should fit without grinding the crank (make sure you plastigauge this though)

Send in one of the rods (youll have 8, so no worries there :) ) to brc. http://www.brcpistons.com
They are great guys that know their stuff and make some kick a-- forged pistons.

Also send in your stock rod, and the stock piston. Tell them to make a piston in the same compression (or a bit lower if you want) to accomidate the larger ford wrist pin. These mustange rods also are bushed so you will want them to make the new pistons set up for full floating with c clips.

Last I talked to them, they charge $505 for 6 custom forged pistons, and their work is excellent. You won't be disappointed.

Theres another guy I know who got 6 custom pistons, wrist pins, clips, and rings for $700 shipped from them. Their prices are great.

Not to mention, you can have them make these in stock bore size to save yourself the $$ on boring.

So there you have it, forged pistons and forged rods for under $700 or $800.
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

rebel2k4 wrote:Spink, here's my thoughts.
I'm using are stock 300zx twin turbo cast units. This takes a lot more tuning and are much easier to break if you detonate, so in essence the engine will not be "bulletproof" however, when tuned correctly the rods and pistons will have no issue at the 450-500 hp level.

IF you plan on running nitrous or are not very good with tuning, I still would suggest forged pistons.

I've done a lot of research before I decided on my setup.

If you are looking for forged rods/pistons, take my suggestion for the cheapest route.

Use forged mustang 347 stroker rods (not the 331 like I'm using) off ebay. Search for TMD, they sell a set with ARP bolts on ebay for $150.

They use the standard .912" wrist pin for ford V8's and are 5.4" long vs. the 5.426" of the KL. The big end width is correct to fit in the crank, and .40 over 302 ford rod bearings should fit without grinding the crank (make sure you plastigauge this though)

Send in one of the rods (youll have 8, so no worries there :) ) to brc. http://www.brcpistons.com
They are great guys that know their stuff and make some kick a-- forged pistons.

Also send in your stock rod, and the stock piston. Tell them to make a piston in the same compression (or a bit lower if you want) to accomidate the larger ford wrist pin. These mustange rods also are bushed so you will want them to make the new pistons set up for full floating with c clips.

Last I talked to them, they charge $505 for 6 custom forged pistons, and their work is excellent. You won't be disappointed.

Theres another guy I know who got 6 custom pistons, wrist pins, clips, and rings for $700 shipped from them. Their prices are great.

Not to mention, you can have them make these in stock bore size to save yourself the $$ on boring.

So there you have it, forged pistons and forged rods for under $700 or $800.
Hey rebel, how much have you spent on getting your engine built?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote: Hey rebel, how much have you spent on getting your engine built?
Projected cost right now is about $1300. This is for all machine work (I shopped around) new rod and main bearings, thrust washers, custom wrist pin bushings from crower, forged 331 stroker rods, used stock 300zx twin turbo pistons and wrist pins, ITM rings, fel pro head gaskets, fel pro valve cover gaskets (both I got for a song), and new seals, including duratec valve seals. I'm not doing cams, valve jobs, or porting. This is just for a basic rebuild but with parts to make it hold 450-500 whp reliably.

I already have purchased a few of the items (forged rods and the pistons) and I'm in the process of tearing down the old motor to take it to the shop.

I am doing all assembly, research, and sourcing of parts.
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”