Engine Test

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Selecta

Engine Test

Post by Selecta »

Hi there,

Had a quick question regarding motor test. I am going to get a ZE motor this weekend and was asking the shop what sort of tests they do on the engine. And they said they don't do compression test as it's not realiable on a cold motor. Instead they would be doing a leak down test to make sure the motor is good.

Just wanted to get your opinion on this if it's a load of bull or if it's legit. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Uday
Friends are just enemies who lack the testicular fortitude to kill you.

I'm a 2min man in a 1min universe

94 GS - KLZE, Spec2 Clutch, Fidanza 9lbs FW, 2 1/4 full magnaflow exhaust. 145WHP / 147WTQ
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

A leak down test is generally more reliable than a normal compression test.. their reasoning about not doing a compression test on a cold engine could be valid. Especially on engines with aluminum heads. Heat causes expansion and aluminum expands quite a bit.. so when the engine is cold, everything would be at its tightest point and a simple compression test might not reveal problems that a leak down test might.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

that is the same explanation they gave me so it seems they are on the up and up...thanx again

94 GS - KLZE, Spec2 Clutch, Fidanza 9lbs FW, 2 1/4 full magnaflow exhaust. 145WHP / 147WTQ
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I'd ask them for a copy of the leak down test results. That way if you get the motor, install it, and it is crap you can have another shop do a leak down test and make sure it is not a compression issue. If it fails the test then you have recourse against the seller of the motor.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

Oh ya there was no doubt I was going to get everything in writting. Also I told them once it's in and everything I would bring it back in for the compression test regardless and they have no problem with that.

Now all I have to do is get the KL3x ECU and a MAF

FrankenMazda

BLATANT THREADJACKING

Post by FrankenMazda »

Im really sorry about this but .... I cant post in buy/sell.

PATDIESEL, why havent you repponded to my email?

You responded just fine, until you received my $158, 10 days ago.
That has me troubled.

Mixup? Fine, ship my stuff. Respond to my email chris.dunster@gmail.com.
I have motor swap madness, Ive lost my mind and have never been happier
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Selecta wrote: Now all I have to do is get ..... a MAF
Why? Don't you own an MX3?
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

I do have a MX3..however I am getting the curved neck intake manifold and with the KL3x ECU would need to change my JE-50 VAF as it won't work with the ECU/Intake combo. At least that is what I have been lead to believe and read thus far.

But if I am mistaken please do let me know.

mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Selecta wrote:I do have a MX3..however I am getting the curved neck intake manifold and with the KL3x ECU would need to change my JE-50 VAF as it won't work with the ECU/Intake combo. At least that is what I have been lead to believe and read thus far.

But if I am mistaken please do let me know.
no just use the je50 vaf. The kl31 or 36 ecu use a je50. The ecu is actually for a straight neck but works fine using the curved neck just the vris points would be off.
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

really? and what would having the VRIS off really do? Also what does VRIS mean? hehehehehe

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”