Headlight Help Please...

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Matt White

Headlight Help Please...

Post by Matt White »

so i just took my headlights out, baked them in the oven to remove the lens and cleaned them with BLUE MAGIC and WOW. Amazing results. But the problem is: the guy i bought the car from had it re-painted and got alot of overspray on the outer edges of the lens (it is pretty thick in some places). any ideas on how to get it off? paint remover? im kinda scared to scrape them with a scraper although it does work. the paint is mostly on the little lip on the bottom of the lens (the side faceing down at the bumper) im just not too thrilled about scratching up the outer edge of my lens....

I know its kinda hard to understand without a picture but hopefully you guys can help me out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

I'd be trying a really fine sandpaper.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Taras

Post by Taras »

Wet sand with 2000 grit wet/dry aluminum oxide sandpaper, then plastic polish.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

Taras wrote:Wet sand with 2000 grit wet/dry aluminum oxide sandpaper, then plastic polish.
i second that!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
92_mazda_mx-3

Post by 92_mazda_mx-3 »

WD-40 on a rag and rub it....no joke
Ralph.S
1992 Mazda Mx3
1.8L V6 soon to be 2.5
Dual 3 inch pilot exhaust with 2.5 inch custom piping.
17" Motegi FF6s w/ Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

WD if not cleaned off with lots of soap and water will make a film over the lamp cover, 2000 grit sandpaper might not be enough to get the paint off without rubbing for days, and any form of paint remover will permenantly ruin you lights. Try the 2000 grit first and if it sems to be taking a LONG time then try 1000 then 1500 then 2000 grit. it needs to be perfectly clear again when you are finished.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”