Should I change my mx3 engine or fix it "HELP"

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mpertz

Should I change my mx3 engine or fix it "HELP"

Post by mpertz »

I have a 1992 MX3 and the car has 260,000km on it. The time timing belt snaped and needs to be changed. Is it worth it to change the timing belt with that many km or should I change the whole engine and put a rebuilt one?? or should I get rid of the car. The body on the car is amazing for original, no rust, nothing, just has minimal faded paint. :?:
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Depends greatly on what kind of condition the engine is in. Is it burning oil? Does it run smooth and pass emissions? Regardless of mileage.. if the engine is in good condition and has been properly maintained.. then replacing the timing belt is the more cost effective way to go. If you are just looking for an excuse to upgrade.. well then you have one.. changing the timing belt is not that tough to do nor is it very expensive if you do it yourself.. but it is rather involved and time consuming and can be expensive if you have a shop do it for you. Do you work on your car yourself? Most of your question can really only be answered by you. Getting a newer engine for it will definately cost more than replacing the timing belt. Especially if you have a shop do the engine swap for you.

Tunes67
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

unless you or your friend can do it for you id go with swap
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

:werd:
Timing belt's not hard to do, but a swap's always a good thing. Just be prepared to cough up a couple grand for it.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

My car has 203 thousand miles on it and I changed the timing belt..not sure how many on the engine but it will smoke a bvit when reving to redline. It was cheaper to get the timing belt replaced than a new engine for the time being. Ill do a swap later on. Engine does nto mess up because valves do not touch the pistons. So no damage done..all there is to do is place belt and set timing again. Also replace tensioners or lube them.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”