RIP-OFF

A Forum For Ontario MX-3 Club Related Topics.
ManoWar

RIP-OFF

Post by ManoWar »

I dont know about you guys but i feel that the gov't is ripping me off. I mean i found a perfect car to buy with the only bad thing beeing 2 sensors that dont work properly (1994 Mazda GS 236,000kms) and for an astounishing price of 1700$ CAD.
Now i was soo happy i managed to bargain up to that level that i forgot about one thing. While registering your vechicle in ontario you have to pay provincial tax, right....... all good and nice. Did all my calculation and i've seen that with all taxes etc involved i can stick in my budget (2200CAD).

BUT now i find out that the PST is not paid on the price you paid for your astounoushing deal but its rather paid on the red book value. And today i find that the red book value for my car is aproximatly 4000$ (give or take 50$). For 4000$ i can buy on autotrader a fairly modified mx-3. BUT NOOOO THE RED BOOK VALUE IS BASED ON STOCK! I hate this bireoucratic system. I JUST HATE IT!
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

I mean look what deals i found around this price
http://www.trader.ca/CanadianAutoRetail ... ry=&alpha=

The above car has only 138,000kms on it! and it is a 95

Like 2 weeks ago there where 2 mx-3's on autotrader with a new exhaust system full body kit new rims and lots of other minor goodies for around 4000$
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

that almost looks like a 92/93 dash though....kinda hard to tell. but if it is a 95, it must b from the states cuz didn't the 94+ in canada have the wrap-around spoilers? or only some?
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

I dont know and honestly i dont really care. All i know is that some people hidden in an office make my life hard.
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

i'm surprised because the book value of my 93 gs was $2500 back in the fall of 2003 when i bought my car with same mileage as the one you wanted. don't see why the book value has gone up on these cars.

btw, i'm in ontario.
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
sk8erdude28

Post by sk8erdude28 »

yeah that sucks. When i got my 95 EGT, i bought it for 1800. Luckily, the red(or blue book??) book value was at like 1850, for that year and mileage. so it worked out pretty well.
ven

Post by ven »

easy way to get around that i to tell the mto that the car has a blown motor and have the seller give you recept saying the same thing..
even if it runs great.

and it ill have a cheaper value

your welcome...
Ven
STeve
1996 Black MX-3 GS
North Bay, ON Canada
If your in North Bay lets hang out and go for beers
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

sadly ven i bought it from a dealer.
mxmaz

Re: RIP-OFF

Post by mxmaz »

ManoWar wrote:I dont know about you guys but i feel that the gov't is ripping me off. I mean i found a perfect car to buy with the only bad thing beeing 2 sensors that dont work properly (1994 Mazda GS 236,000kms) and for an astounishing price of 1700$ CAD.
Now i was soo happy i managed to bargain up to that level that i forgot about one thing. While registering your vechicle in ontario you have to pay provincial tax, right....... all good and nice. Did all my calculation and i've seen that with all taxes etc involved i can stick in my budget (2200CAD).

BUT now i find out that the PST is not paid on the price you paid for your astounoushing deal but its rather paid on the red book value. And today i find that the red book value for my car is aproximatly 4000$ (give or take 50$). For 4000$ i can buy on autotrader a fairly modified mx-3. BUT NOOOO THE RED BOOK VALUE IS BASED ON STOCK! I hate this bireoucratic system. I JUST HATE IT!
Thats easy, just have the dealer where you bought the car get an affadavit for the price you paid. I know thats all you do here. If you dont have one, then you have to pay tax on the book value. When i bought mine 3 years ago and the book value was $6500, the guy i bought it off of got me an affadavit saying i paid $2000 and that is all i had to pay taxes on no questions asked.

Return to “Ontario MX-3 Club”