help with my BPT....oohhh the humanity

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
wickedmx3

help with my BPT....oohhh the humanity

Post by wickedmx3 »

Let me start from the beginning, I don't know whay information might help to work out the solution.

The Car: 92 MX-3, BPT (GTX) swap, custom intercooler, BPT ECU, everything running stock.

I had a hairline crack in the radiator, so we ordered a new one and had it installed. The connection for the fan was not making contact causing the car to run hot, we cleaned the connection and got that working. everything was checked, all fluids were ok, oil was good, filled the gas and took a road trip 40 or so miles to WI from IL. Getting there was no problem, car ran good, all sensors showed good running.

Right before I left WI to come back to IL, I gave a fellow MXer a ride to his car, I first noticed a "hiccup", the car for like a second stalled and then went back to normal, I took a turn and noted my steering was hard, like if it didnt hace power steering, just for a second again, but when I finished the turn the steering was fine. I moved the steering left and right, no problem. I pooped the hood but noted nothing out of the ordinary. There was no smoke and again, all the gauges were fine.

I got on the road. 20 miles down, the car start to hesitate, its got the whole "hicup" thing going, the Air/Fuel guage shows the car running rich, I check the turbo timer, which has reading for air/fuel and O2, the air/fuel reading is in the red, the O2 shows a jumping reading but low on air. I pop the hood and check the intercooler pipes, none are loose, all connections are good. I see that at the top of the engine, right a plug is not connected, I connect it and the engine stops shaking , but the mixture of air fuel is still not stoich, it's still running rich, in fact you can smell a hint of gas, I look under the car, no leaks, the engine shows nothing leaking or spilling. I check the exhaust, it's got black soot all over it, I touch it, there is no oil, just soot. I ride the car the rest of the way, it still hesitating, at times if given too much gas it seems to choke and she wont ride past 50mph. I get off the highway and she stops. She will turn over but dies if I give it gas.

Getting her on the tow truck bed, on the passenger side rim, I notice oil all over the inner part of the rim, but I show nothing dripping down. I have not had the mechanic over to look at her, this just happened last night.

Please help!!!
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

maybe the water temp sensor on the car is going, i had that issue on my 92 RS i had, made the car go full rich and sputter and sometimes stall out
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

if you give it gas slowly does it run fine, but sputter when u open the throttle up just a bit? if so, you may want to check ur plug wires, especially if you cant go past 50 mph, they will usually act up at higher RPM's when they're worn out....
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

This is just an idea. I don't own a turbocharged vehicle (yet), so that said, this is just a theory I came up with.

Turbocharged car means more fuel in the cyl, and you said a spark plug was undone. Maybe this cyl not firing was letting this fuel exit through the ex valve, all over your turbo fin and wastegate, over the O2 sensor (gumming it up maybe?) and then resting on your tailpipe where you found the soot. Again, just a theory, and if it was my car I would pull the O2 sensor.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

When you did the BPT swap did you upgrade spark plugs and wires???
wickedmx3

Post by wickedmx3 »

They had NGK wires and plugs in the car when I had the swap done.

The next year, I had the wires changed, the spark plugs, the cap, the rotor, oil change, fuel filter, air cone filter changed.

Sunday was the first time the car out this season, I plan of having all those things changed again. Are there different plugs and wires I should use?

I do plan on having the oxygen sensor changed this week, as well as the passenger side axel.
natural born honda killer

Post by natural born honda killer »

what do you have for engine management?
jeremy cline
95 MX-3 RS
The only BPT GTR MX-3 in Texas!!!

man iraq sucks!!!
wickedmx3

Post by wickedmx3 »

Just the BPT ECU
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

Maybe i'm mistaken, but I thought the point of engine management was in lieu of having the correct ECU? Or a highly modified engine like JWs. I would think running stock with the BPT ECU you wouldn't need a standalone.
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
wickedmx3

Post by wickedmx3 »

That was my understanding. I do plan on running a SAFC once I upgrade the fuel pump, injectors and turbo.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

BTW have you done a carbon build up removal yet? I was talking with a mechanic I know and he said with the turbo'd engine sitting all summer like that the carbon migth have built up or you might have a leaky injector that filled one of the cyclenders or maybe dirty injectors. But I only really rememberd the just using it, hiccups, and stalling so Those are what he said, but to maybe make friends with a good mechanic that can help you locally. The one friend that I have pretty much is a great guy. He asks for no $$ but I give him bout $20 an hour. Pretty much all my work has only ever been an hour long so its all good. Just remember $20 to learn something saves $100 down the line.
wickedmx3

Post by wickedmx3 »

I guess I am lucky, my wife works at a dealership and so we get the dealer mechanic to come down and look at the car. Right now we are working with the O2 sensor and axle, so I will have those parts ready for him when he comes.

He can then see if there is a different problem. Once the car is up and running I will take it to my sponsor shop and let them do a once over as well as install of some of the performance parts I have built up already.

While I am there or even before when the dealer mechanic comes, I will check into the carbon build up, I will have to add that to my first of spring things to do list for the car.
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

What was the plug for that came undone?
If something came undone your ecu would notice that and try to work around it. When you get an error like that you HAVE to reset the ecu or you will still have problems. Reset it by disconnecting the battery and holding the brake petal for 5 seconds. This should clear all the codes in it.
Did you get the car checked out yet?
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

I noticed you said that is the first time you've had it out for this season....How long has it been sitting??? Your gas could be bad and since you've ran the car with it, there could be some varnish...etc.. in the lines, filter, injectors, and around the valves. I'd drain the gas tank, add a bottle of Red Line, or Lucas fuel injector cleaner, fill it back up with 93 octane gas, clean the throttle body and intake manifold out with some Sea Foam Deep Creep Spray. You just open the butterfly, spray it and then all around in the IM Plenum. Let it sit for a few minutes, repeat, then start the car up n watch it smoke like a freight train (it isn't hurting the car). Another item for you to check is the cat, it could be cloging as well. Also a compression and vac. test would be a good thing to do just to see what kind of condition the motor is in while your at it.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
wickedmx3

Post by wickedmx3 »

Well, the car went into hibernation in November of 04, it was turned on once a week for 20 minutes each time. During the time it was off the battery was disconnected and the car was sitting with quarter tank of gas, which was at an 8th when she was taken out the first time so the first thing I did was go get gas, and she always gets 93 octane.

Return to “Forced Induction”