Help! Call out to ZE owners! '96 MX-3 with ZE. ECU problem?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Overclock

Help! Call out to ZE owners! '96 MX-3 with ZE. ECU problem?

Post by Overclock »

Just bought a very nice MX-3 with ZE but have some issues with it.

1) Burns insane amounts of gas
2) Gets a little sputtery when easing on or off gas pedal.

My best guess on cause of problem: stock 1.8 ECU.

If I'm right, what are my options to remedy the situation in light of this car being an OBD2 setup?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Numerous threads on ZE/ECU issues via search function. 1.8 ECU - ya that will probably be a good start to try and replace with KL31 or KL36 ECU. Like myself, MX6/626 ECU could get you by in the meantime.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Overclock

Post by Overclock »

KL31 or KL36 ECU are obd1 and won't fit as far as I know.

You actually have an MX6 ECU and it works better than the 1.8 ECU? I'm not looking for a miracle cure, just something that makes more sense than my current setup.

Has anyone had a good experience with a reprogrammed 1.8 ECU with ZE ECU info?
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Are you using the stock je50 vaf? by the sounds of it you are and that is your problem. You need to get a vaf from a probe, mx6 or 626. They are called kl02 i believe. And just keep the k8 ecu. You are right you cant use a ze ecu because you car is obd2, you could to convert to obd1, but that would take insane amounts of work.
Overclock

Post by Overclock »

Don't know what vaf, just bought the car.

How can I identify which vaf is in there?
Overclock

Post by Overclock »

I have little-to-no mechanical knowledge so I'm asking this out of curiosity and not that I doubt your advice:
Why/how would the KL02 vaf fix the problems? Doesn't the jap KLZE normally come with JE-50 vaf?
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

The KL02 will give the ECU different information on the amount of air entering the engine, which the ECU will try to adjust the amount of fuel to match. Also, you'll probably want to get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator with that setup so you can lower the pressure to your fuel system. This will help with fuel consumption and rich conditions. You'll probably want to have a performance shop set the fuel pressure for you as they can take readings on the air/fuel mixture and adjust accordingly.
Overclock

Post by Overclock »

Any recommendation on which adjustable fuel pressure regulator to get?
Once it's in there and I get a shop to make adjustments, I don't have to worry about it anymore, problem solved?

If I go the adjustable fuel pressure regulator route, I should still get the KL02 vaf to be running nice and smooth right?

Will these changes harm performance of the car?
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

you will get better performance from this set up. The vaf is the sensor located between the ribbed hose (intake) and air filter box. Take a look at the numbers on it.
Overclock

Post by Overclock »

Can you point out the vaf in this pic so I can better find it?

Black Magic

Post by Black Magic »

Been there done that, use a kl02 vaf sensor from a probe or mx-6. Buy a universal fpr, any, just as long as you can set it to 40-43psi and your set to go. Only your vris will be off. A customer with the same setup had it on the dyno and pulled 194hp. By the way, the vaf is the sensor between the airfilter and your throttlebody.

Bastian
17 inch bba racings rims, apex lowering springs, laser muffler, boost steering wheel, mazdaspeed seats, black altezza's, testpipe, oh and a polished klze with an upgraded clutch and a kl36 ecu.
Overclock

Post by Overclock »

Never mind, found it! JE50 alright.

So... get KL02 VAF and fpr set to 40-ish psi and I'll be good to go?

Noticed the car also shakes quite a bit for a few minutes on start up. Should I attribute that to the vaf and fpr as well?
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Ze, k8 ecu, k8 vaf..been working fine for me.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

[quote="Overclock"Noticed the car also shakes quite a bit for a few minutes on start up. Should I attribute that to the vaf and fpr as well?[/quote]
That could be something else. Is your valve cover gaskets leaking? Pull the plug wires and see if any of them are wet with oil, and pull the plugs and check for wear. If you do have oil in the spark plug well clean it out and replace the gasket. I have the same problem occasionally.
Taras

Post by Taras »

XxantwawnxX wrote:Ze, k8 ecu, k8 vaf..been working fine for me.
Yours is not an OBDII.....

All this sounds to me like a running rich problem.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”