advice on BPT swap

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
tool_girl6597

advice on BPT swap

Post by tool_girl6597 »

I have found a BPT for my car and just wanted some info. I've been reading on all these swaps and it should be easy right? I don't have to cut any frame or weld anything do I? The one I found comes with the tranny and turbo. Will I have to change any suspension or anything like that? Or if pulled out all together will new stuff fit easily or have to fight stuff? I have limited time on how long I can use garage/equipment. If anyone lives near the Dayton Ohio area or can teleport me and a car to you that has an intrest in helping or any "pre-warnings" let me know. Also...I don't remember if I asked this but will a 6-speed Miata tranny work with the BPT? And if not why? or something....lol
92' Teal 4 cylinder,5 speed MX-3. Desperately needing civic projectors converted
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

I was just writing a callout to people to help me make a real BP swap guide... not that misleading crap they have in the FAQ.

Answers:
Yes it will fit.

How long? I've been at mine for weeks now, because I've had neither the right tools or the time to really spend on mine. If you have the right tools, the regular BP swap would probably take no longer than 2-5 days as Gro talked about in one of his posts. The BPT swap? 2-5 days to install it, but don't forget that you have to custom fit a turbo intercooler into your car, which I imagine could be pretty nightmarish unless you have help with that.

On top of that, you're gonna need the ECU and probably wiring harness from the 323 GTX or whatever... I'm not sure about that though.

The 6-speed Miata tranny will not work, regardless of year, or whether it bolts up to the BPT... it's for a RWD car. Unless you wanna modify your car to be RWD, ain't gonna happen.

BTW, the transmission that comes on the BPT is most likely the AWD tranny... probably not the best thing to put into your car.

How much is this engine going to cost you? Anything more than 350-500 dollars and you're probably getting ripped off, especially if it's fairly high milage.

Best bet, although you probably don't want to hear me say this, is to go with the normal BP engine from a 90-94 protege, and work your way up. They're cheap motors (I got mine with 55k miles for 350 bucks), a relatively easy swap that won't take too long in the shop, and the turbo stuff will bolt up to it when you have time to install it later.

Order of bits for the BP motor:
1. Remove B6 from car and swap in BP
2. Replace stock transmission with manual 90-94 Protege tranny (can be done with number 1 or later)
3. Buy 323 GTX turbo manifold from corksport or ebay, and get turbo parts (you can find the Probe GT turbo and other compatible turbos on car-part.com) Don't forget a decent intercooler! (get one from a nissan silvia or something) Also, find higher flow injectors, maybe an FMU.
4. Install turbo bits, keep boost low.
5. Buy turbo timer, boost controller, etc. Work boost up slowly.
6. Enjoy.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”