Spark Plug wires Help Me!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Trevor

Spark Plug wires Help Me!!!

Post by Trevor »

I want to get a good set of performance wires for my ze swap. I went to "Automotive Wearhouse" and all they had was "reactive" and "taylor" wires. Anyone use these? or can lead me in the right direction. I Tried to find Accel cause I heard they were good but no one can get them for me.

HELP GUYS!!!
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

did you try asking for accel's for a probe gt, 626, mx6 or millenia. They will all work.
These are good wires
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ename=WD1V
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

i think gro harlem has them and theyre too long, too long of wire=looks funny and you losing hp, spark has to travel through longer wires
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

Get the MSD 8.5 mm's for an MX-6/Probe. Well worth the money. Got mine from Jegs.
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

mitmaks wrote:i think gro harlem has them and theyre too long, too long of wire=looks funny and you losing hp, spark has to travel through longer wires
They're supposed to be routed around the IM.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

but are they same lenght as for k8, anyone know, if so I might get some, my stock NGK's been good but I think i should be replacing them soon
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

The MSD's are MX-6 sized. They go along the top of the front valve cover. Up the left side of the IM, and across to each plug. Like this...Image
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

mitmaks wrote:i think gro harlem has them and theyre too long, too long of wire=looks funny and you losing hp, spark has to travel through longer wires
Unless the igniter and coil performance is really marginal, the extra length will make no discernable difference - after all, it works fine in a Probe. You could double it and not notice, as long as the wires were in good condition.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Fraid not dood. The wires I got are fine

I measured the ohm's between EVERY wire when I first bought them just so I'd know

The short wires were 250-300 ohms and the longer ones were 700-800 ohms.

The peice of s--- NGK's I had on the car before were 2000-3500 ohms.

I'd say thats a good difference right there.

BTW: with a curved neck manifold I would suggest you NEED the long wires.

IF you get the stock MX3's with the KLZE curved neck the wires will be squished between the top of the manifold & the hood. That is how I had my accels routed before & parts of the red silicone jackets are all smudged up and crappy now & parts of the silicone were almost rubbed down to the fiberglass inside the wire :(

And don't buy NGK's. Their quality is really lacking these days. They used to be great, but now they seem to fall apart pretty fast. The crimpers they use to keep the plug boots on don't hold up well.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
pinkmx-3

Post by pinkmx-3 »

i got the probe kind and after taken the stock ones off i forgot how they are suppose to go on cause these wires dont have numbers on them. even if it did i wouldnt be able to tell what hole it went into............. :cry:
RizzeRocket

Post by RizzeRocket »

hahahaha just put em on the way u think they should go , some miss firing wont hurt at all :twisted:
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Gro Harlem wrote:Fraid not dood. The wires I got are fine

I measured the ohm's between EVERY wire when I first bought them just so I'd know

I still say the effect on performance between 300 Ohm and 800 Ohm will not be noticeable. How many Ohm is the plug gap - probably over 1 MOhm!

Btw, measure the new wires after say 1 year - I expect they will be about the same resistance as the NGKs. The wires are resistive to reduce RFI (radio interference), and it increases with age. If you live out in the sticks, try solid copper wires and see if there's a difference to the engine - unless you have a problem with the igniter or coil, there won't be.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Ive never bought wires for an mx3...i only buy probe wires. So much cheaper : P

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

XxantwawnxX wrote:Ive never bought wires for an mx3...i only buy probe wires. So much cheaper : P
Would they fit the K8 fine? Is the performance the same and did u buy them from the dealer?

thanks
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

IanL wrote:
Gro Harlem wrote:Fraid not dood. The wires I got are fine

I still say the effect on performance between 300 Ohm and 800 Ohm will not be noticeable. How many Ohm is the plug gap - probably over 1 MOhm!

Btw, measure the new wires after say 1 year - I expect they will be about the same resistance as the NGKs. The wires are resistive to reduce RFI (radio interference), and it increases with age. If you live out in the sticks, try solid copper wires and see if there's a difference to the engine - unless you have a problem with the igniter or coil, there won't be.
I'll try to pop one off and measure the resistance now. The wires are over a year old right now.

I got an ohmeter w/me in my car so it won't be a prob. I might do it tommorrow if i remember.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”