awd mx3

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
DavidOS

awd mx3

Post by DavidOS »

just so you know there was a 89-94 (years are scetchy) awd protege with the same chassis as ours that was awd.

Should be a simple transfer ... of course still gotta move a few things around but at least some things bolt straight in.

I confirmed this with a guy who works at mazda here in london as a mechanic, he own 3 mx3 and a couple proteges and a 323 and some other cars. He knew alot of s---.

Anyhow happy hunting:)
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I still doudt its going to work unless you got alot of time and money to find a way for the tranny to bolt onto the engine.
Can anyoen prove me wrong?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Black Magic

Post by Black Magic »

I got the time/money and fully equiped garage, but I don' t see how the 323 awd tranny would hold over 400hp, else their woudn' t be much use for an awd setup. I have looked quite abit into an awd conversion and the closed so far seems an audi S3 tranny, even the wheelbase is about the same and it's a 6 speed. We might give it a shot next winter, but first I need to built the engine.

Bastian
17 inch bba racings rims, apex lowering springs, laser muffler, boost steering wheel, mazdaspeed seats, black altezza's, testpipe, oh and a polished klze with an upgraded clutch and a kl36 ecu.
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

SOMEDAY... SOMEONE will build a AWD Mx-3 ..... Mark my words :!:
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

What several people here have told me is that it is near impossible to convert to AWD because the 323 tranny dosent even bolt on any K series engine

BUT, I have been hearing of people making 4Cyl MX3s AWD.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

Someone IS. One guy from washington (who turbo'd is BP (no, not a BPT, turbo's his BP)) is putting in AWD. The biggest problem is having to put a tunnel cover for it down the center of the car. He has ripped out most of the interior anyways, so he is doing it this summer.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Depending on which production line your MX-3 was built on Converting it to AWD is pretty much bolt on. The rear subframe assy attached with 4 bolts. If you unbolt the standard rear crossmember, trailing arms and struts all you have to do is bolt the 323 AWD rear assy in place. The other thing you will have to swap is the (BG) AWD fuel tank in place of the standard fuel tank. There is a tunnel down the middle for the drive shaft and exhaust to pass. Since the MX-3 is really just a (BG) 323 hatchback under the skin almost everything is already there just like is Mazda had wanted to to build a GTX in the chassis on the assy line instead of a MX-3. The rear axle of the 323/Protege AWD is mechanically related to the Type 1 rear diff in the (NA) MX-5 but externally not the same. If you intend to do the conversion with a V-6 you would have to import the AWD tranny from a Cappella stationwagon with the KL-ZE. If converting a 4 banger AWD trannies are readily available in most North American scrapyards Since both Mazda and Ford are both offering a model with the AWD tranny that will bolt to the B block. One good used I found for the AWD rear end I picked up a few years is the balance the weight of my car so even thought the rear diff is only freewheeling the rear end feels a lot more secure in ice and snow and doesn't fishtail as much with the extra weight uver the wheels.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Yoda wrote:Depending on which production line your MX-3 was built on Converting it to AWD is pretty much bolt on. The rear subframe assy attached with 4 bolts. If you unbolt the standard rear crossmember, trailing arms and struts all you have to do is bolt the 323 AWD rear assy in place. The other thing you will have to swap is the (BG) AWD fuel tank in place of the standard fuel tank. There is a tunnel down the middle for the drive shaft and exhaust to pass. Since the MX-3 is really just a (BG) 323 hatchback under the skin almost everything is already there just like is Mazda had wanted to to build a GTX in the chassis on the assy line instead of a MX-3. The rear axle of the 323/Protege AWD is mechanically related to the Type 1 rear diff in the (NA) MX-5 but externally not the same. If you intend to do the conversion with a V-6 you would have to import the AWD tranny from a Cappella stationwagon with the KL-ZE. If converting a 4 banger AWD trannies are readily available in most North American scrapyards Since both Mazda and Ford are both offering a model with the AWD tranny that will bolt to the B block. One good used I found for the AWD rear end I picked up a few years is the balance the weight of my car so even thought the rear diff is only freewheeling the rear end feels a lot more secure in ice and snow and doesn't fishtail as much with the extra weight uver the wheels.
How are you sure this will work with a Cappella stationwagon or a 323 tranny on a K series engine?
Any proof because I am very intrested
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

Yoda is master dont argue.

The capella does have the right tranny for the ZE.
I remember Yoda sayign this quite some time ago as well:)
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Than why hasnt anyone done a Capella tranny swap before. If it is possible, I got 2 questions in mind and thats if it will be able to take the beating of atleast 330hp and will it work on a K8.
I know the KLZE only has 200hp and 160ft torque but I got plans on making atleast 330hp and am just concerned :)
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Believeme,

"Yoda" knows his stuff.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Ok, one last question and this one is a stupid question
I know Ford made the Cappella station wagon, anyone got any info on these Cappella station wagons like they years they were made? I have been searching on Google and cant find anything
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

Yoda, you are the master.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

So all those models that were made from 1989 to 1999 have the tranny that work with the K series engines?
Knowing that its a station wagon, there are MTX versions of the Capella tranny right?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”