idle rpm too high when cold

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ninjajim4

idle rpm too high when cold

Post by ninjajim4 »

my engine idles really high (like 2000 RPM) when it's not warmed but after taking it out on highway or just driving round til the engine temp goes up, it starts behaving itself. it's very consistent in this behavior

any idea what's up with this? i've no doubt many of you do.. pls lmk, i'm burning up lots of gas!!

thanks guys.

-Jim
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

It`s normal that the engine runs around 2000rpm before it`s warm.
All cars do this (atleast all the ones I`ve driven)

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

All cars use a lot more gas when it's cold. Since the air is so dense...more fuel must be added to compensate. I usually get 500km's per tank in the summer....in the winter i get like 375-400km's.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

really thats normal?? it almost feels like its on cruise control when i'm driving it cold.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

My 95 Mx-3, 90 MX-6, and 96 626 all have a cold start idle at around 1500-1700 rpm.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

You will find that the colder the day, the higher the idle until it warms up. During winter my cold idle is around 2000, and during summer its around 1500 or so.
psneddon

Post by psneddon »

Yeah, it is normal. Its really strange though, only really cold mornings when I'm driving slowly out of the car park I have to keep my foot on the brake and not use the gas at all :) as the car is wanting to "get away from me", I know its normal and there is nothing else to be done, but it still feels strange driving like that . Its my first car so i've nothing to compare it with.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

psneddon wrote:Yeah, it is normal. Its really strange though, only really cold mornings when I'm driving slowly out of the car park I have to keep my foot on the brake and not use the gas at all :) as the car is wanting to "get away from me", I know its normal and there is nothing else to be done, but it still feels strange driving like that . Its my first car so i've nothing to compare it with.
haha yea thats EXACTLY how i am too!! well, its good to know that's how it's supposed to be...

thnx guys

-Jim
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

mine idles at 2K too, but when its warmer it quickly drops to around 1500 and with then lower and lower, my mechanic thought it was not normal and started messing with it, but I told him thats ok, its normal for it to idle like that.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

yup, mine does it too. when its below zero the idle even jumps around and surges and stuff. But it goes away
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

when i first start my klze it always rev's to about 3500 then quickly dies down and idles at 1500-1700, never 2000.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

quicksliver wrote:All cars use a lot more gas when it's cold. Since the air is so dense...more fuel must be added to compensate. I usually get 500km's per tank in the summer....in the winter i get like 375-400km's.
Idling around 2000 RPM on a cold start is normal on mine as well, but quicksilver, are you out on the highway a lot? That's a lot of mileage out of one tank. Haven't been able to find out how much I can get out of 1 tank in the summer since I just got my Precidia in November, but so far during these winter months, I only get about half the distance of what you're getting out of yours, and all of my driving is within the city. How is it that any of you improve your fuel economy??
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

Man i love those cold starts where it idles around 2k. You don't have to touch the gas until around 3rd gear. Atleast that is with really really slow acceleration, hey i hate going to work so i dog it. I can get up to 40 k before i have to touch the gas. Sorry just had to share my excitement
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”