Dimmer malfunction

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Johnomx3

Dimmer malfunction

Post by Johnomx3 »

Anyways i searched around couldnt find much (didnt have too much time to search though. If my dimmer isnt turned all the way on, the lights will flicker, i assume somethings loose as if seems to fluxuate when i hit bumps and whatnot. Anyways if anyones had this problem and fixed it email me please @ johno_brownrigg@hotmail.com

Thanks
Dual '92 RS's, Both white, one RS spoiler on standard daily driver and a automatic parts car.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/588315
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

If it works ok with full power, sounds like a faulty dimmer....
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

Yep, sounds like a faulty dimmer. I seem to have a different problem with the dimmer... My original worked fine but the ears that keep it clipped in the dash broke - so I got another one off Ebay. A few weeks after putting it in, the same thing happened - the bottom ear snapped off and the top ear is cracked and ready to fall off as well. No idea why, heh. :roll:
1993 MX-3 ~ SE * 2.5L Swap'd
1993 RX-7 ~ Rotary Performance Built
1996 MX-5 ~ M-Edition * Topless, Daily Driver

masonholmes@hotmail.com
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

My switch seems to work intermittently. My panel stays lit up full all the time, so I rarely play with the switch unless my eyes are getting tired from a long highway drive at night. Anyway, sometimes when I roll the switch, it'll do what it's suppose to do and dim the guages, sometimes it won't, and there's no discernable pattern to it at all. Where's the fault???
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

You seem to have answered that yourself, the dimmer seems to have an intermittant fault. Replace it. :)
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
PlatinumTLC

Post by PlatinumTLC »

my dimmer doesn't do anything when i roll the switch.
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

Grants wrote:You seem to have answered that yourself, the dimmer seems to have an intermittant fault. Replace it. :)
No, no, what I mean is, WHERE is the fault??? I don't know if it's a loose wire, a faulty switch, etc. The reason I'm asking is cuz I want to change my guage faces in the spring and from the other threads here, it seems like I need to splice into the wiring behind the switch here so before I go get the faces and have that new switch installed, I need to know if it's a problem with the existing wiring, or if it's just the dimmer switch itself.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Ah, sorry :) The fault is amost certainly in the dimmer switch itself by your description. With the new gauge faces I suppose the dimmer working will be even more important - maybe you can pick one up at the motor wreckers - should be pretty cheap and its easy to replace.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”