Passenger door unlocks itself.

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
fry_81

Passenger door unlocks itself.

Post by fry_81 »

As the topic states, for some reason i have to always lock the passenger door from the outside. if i have the door open and push the lock button, once i close the door it pops out and unlocks itself. but if the doors closed and i push the button closed it stays but as soon as i pull the handle from the outside it just opens up. I know nothing about locking mechanisms so im not sure if its an easy fix or not, or if i should just take it into the shop and let them deal with it? oh btw it has manual locks.
thanks,
chris.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
RoundTop

Re: Passenger door unlocks itself.

Post by RoundTop »

stupid question but..you are lifting the handle when closing the door, right?
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

i kinda had similar problem with my gs
what i do is I push Lock on drivers side and then shut door and then lift up handle (drivers) and it locks fine
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

I have a lot of lock probs as well. If someone has an answer, they should post this in FAQ
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

funny you guys are mentioning this. My locks used to work fine before I removed my power doorlock motors from my door (used to have keyless entry).

Now if I have a passenger...and they close the door after I locked it, it'll pop out on the passenger door.

If I don't lift up on the handle while i'm closing my door, it'll pop out the drivers lock (and in turn...both locks since its power).

I think it has something to do with the metal linkage rods that are used to move the locks. Rebending them or something might help...i'm gonna try it sometime when I have time
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

I have had 2 mx-3s, and they both did this. I thknk you just have to hold the handle up. I don't think it's a problem per se, I think it was intended.
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

ya it has to do with the power door locks, our cars work better with em then without em i hate that.

have to hold the handle up otherwise.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

I think it is a Japanese Car thing... My MX has the same deal, you have to hold the passenger handle open in order for it to stay locked. My friends Civic, and MR2 both have the same problem. I wonder if it is even a problem of like FlashPoint2 said, maybe it was intended.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

It was a safety thing that Mazda designed into the car... It is meant to keep the door from accidentally shutting if you have it locked, and locking your keys in the car. Ideally, you are supposed to lock it from the outside with your key-- thus ensuring that your keys are not inside the car.

You HAVE to hold the handle up while you are closing it to keep it locked.

It was not a design flaw-- it was intended.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Pedro_mx3
Supporting Member

Post by Pedro_mx3 »

agreed
I'm not worried about the bullet with my name on, Im worried about the one that says 'To Whom it may Concern'....

Make a Donation, Keep Mx3.com Alive!!

1991 V6 K8 -- My baby, i miss her... On her way to car heaven... <3
Zim_Zim

Post by Zim_Zim »

its 4 sure a safety feature..definately intended..just took me a day to get used to when i got the car, the car won't lock unless you do it. i do know that some honda's, nissans, mazda's have it.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

wtf...u sure? my protege had the stupid "lift the handle to lock" crap but I never had this problem on my MX3 until I removed my drivers power doorlock motor after removing keyless entry.

Before that, i could close both doors all day long and they never popped out.

IMHO it is the most retarded feature ever. It is supposed to keep you from locking your keys in your car, but after getting used to doing it, you'll still close the door properly and leave them in the car...so whats the f**king point?
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Hey Gro, why did you remove the keyless entry? I know you wouldn't do it for no reason but I reckon its a great feature?
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

Perry you are correct. Its a safety feature. Quite useful i think. Although i did manage to lock my keys in the car still, oops.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

b/c the alarm never worked right when i bought the car and i saw no point in keeping added weight in the car if i didn't have to.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”